cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Control AV equipment with Touch 10

nrunge1
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently controlling multiple inputs to our SX80 codecs with some Extron AV equipment that has a wall plate with push button controls. 

Almost every user of these rooms complains about having to interface with both the Touch 10 and the AV controls.

I'm guessing the answer is no considering the Touch 10 plugs directly into the codec however was just curious if anyone has been able to take the Touch 10 and customize it to control other AV components to have a single point of administration. 

Or on the flip side are there third party options that can control the SX80?

34 Replies 34

If you're using Crestron, suggest you use their modules: Cisco Touch 10 Room Control.  I'm familiar with Crestron, so I can't say in regards to AMX programming.

Take a look at pg 16 in the guide, the control processor needs to register to feedback events from the codec, and what to expect coming from the codec API as someone uses the Touch 10.

Has anyone had any luck with effectively adding DSP and source switching controls? If we were doing a Crestron TP interface i like to matrix switch using drag and drop. I am sure this wont allow such a feature but i am trying to be optimistic that it will still be a user friendly interface.

It does work, I am just now playing with it. The documentation does not give examples that "spell" it out. Here is what I have played with so far...

Used the editor to create a couple of pages and landed some buttons on the pages. Editor names them Widget_1, Widget_2 etc. but you can change that name, there is an editable field when you create or select the widget for edit.

After I created the test buttons I connected to the CODEC via rs232 and used putty to establish a serial session. Any com program should work.

Issued this command to get feedback for the Touch 10:

xfeedback register event/UserInterface/Extensions/Event

I then pressed the Shades Up button I created and got this from the CODEC:

*e UserInterface Extensions Event Pressed Signal: "ShadesUp"
** end
*e UserInterface Extensions Event Clicked Signal: "ShadesUp"
** end
*e UserInterface Extensions Event Released Signal: "ShadesUp"

Then used these commands to toggle the Shades Up button status on the touch 10:

xCommand UserInterface Extensions Widget SetValue WidgetId: "ShadesUp" Value: "active"
xCommand UserInterface Extensions Widget SetValue WidgetId: "ShadesUp" Value: "inactive"

I also observed if the session times out I see this from the CODEC:

Session timed out.

Welcome to BOB-V2_Small-SX80-CE8-Test
Cisco Codec Release ce 8.2.1 Final e9daf06 2016-06-28
SW Release Date: 2016-06-28
*r Login successful

OK

and you have to re-enter the command to get feedback going again:

xfeedback register event/UserInterface/Extensions/Event

I did not yet test to verify if after the session times out and logs back in, if you can still issue the active/inactive commands to change the button state on the Touch 10 before re issuing the feedback register command.

Have not yet played with the other widgets, just buttons at this point.

Am now going to throw together a small AMX project using a data event to watch for button feedback from the CODEC and to control a Contemporary Research tuner.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction.

Robert

I'm curious if you have experience with basic button customization.  I've been struggling with attaching an event to a button with an ID - e.g. creating a quick dial that connects to a certain cloud provider, e.g. zoom or Web Ex.  

In-Room Controls require a third-party control system, such as AMX or Crestron, it's this control system that will control the codec via it's API to dial the address.  It's not possible to use the In-Room Controls and control the codec directly, it doesn't work that way as a control system is required.

Question for Patrick. Because my company is not Crestron partner we can't download Crestron Toolbox for configuration.  We have been ordered one RMC3 but receive an answer from Crestron reseller in Serbia that they couldn't give us this software because we are not partners. Is there any way to find this software on the internet?  

We need this to integrate with Touch 10. Our customer wants to control blinds, lights and TV inputs.

Customers can download Crestron software, all you need to do is add your Crestron customer number to your online profile to give you access.

Thank you Patrick for your answer. Because we are not buying directly from Crestron shall we expect this Customer ID from reseller or it's just when you order directly from Crestron? It's very weird situation that I want to buy something but I can't configure it :) 

You can contact your Crestron Account Manager, they should be able to look up your customer number, and/or have one created for you.  I had to go through the same process years ago.  We also purchase through a vendor and not direct.

OK,

It's good to know that somebody already passed your agony :).

Thank you Patrick

You could ask your reseller to download the software for you if you get delayed getting access.

Your reseller should have that access. I work for a large corp and we are an enterprise customer and I have all access to downloads.

Robert

I just went and created a dummy logon to see what access I would have apart from my enterprise account logon, I put that I was an independent Programmer. It created the account and gave software download capability.

Go to:

https://www.crestron.com/account/register

Register and once you are logged in click the Pro Panel Icon in the top right then choose resources and view all software.

At the bottom of that page you can choose a category etc.

I have created new dummy account as Independent Programmer  but still the same. I don't have permission for software download.  

Hello Dalibor!

Dont flame me too much, but why do you think that simply downloading the software gets you anywhere nearer to be a Crestron programmer?

Matter of fact is, that Crestron does have its own language, which is not related to anything you might have ever seen.

As soon as you attend Crestron training you are able (and licensed reg. EULA!) to use their software.

If you look hard enough you for sure will find it online somehwere, but I doubt it will help you much.

Bye

HST

HST Consulting - raising the bar

Hello Harald,

I will not flame you at all. Especially after two weeks trying to find best way for buying Crestron controllers. Because I'm in hurry to do the demo I will probably hire some Crestron programmer from Serbia, but I'm pretty sure that I will try to find some other vendor which is more open for new partners.

Question for all. Which other vendor can you recommend me for integration with Touch 10? Use case is to control Blinds, lights an TV inputs, preferable via TCP/IP.

Regards,

Dalibor 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: