cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert VCS to Expressway

iverson.justin
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have 8.11.4 VCS control and edge, Cisco has suggested that we migrate to Exp-Core and Exp-edge. Can I just convert my current VCS using system mode wizard or do I need to spin up new Exp-Core and Exp-edge nodes and migrate my configs to new Exp servers?  We also signed up for new A-FLEX Pro licensing, does this cover Expway licenses like EXP-Room and EXP-DSK for Registrar modes?  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As @Nithin Eluvathingal mentioned, you can use the service wizard to convert VCS to expressway. when you select the required services in your setup, the next page display the required licenses. (you can run this any time to know what option keys that you need. but please dont press continue until you have required keys with you. The below screenshot is taken from new release of expressway only for references but if i remember correctly, there may be slight difference (release key etc)

image.png

image.png

Regards,

Shalid

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

You can convert to expressway  using the system mode wizard.  

For new version you only need RMS,Room and Desk license. All traditional options are embedded with expressway. 

IF your Flex license subscription shows Room and desk license, you can use those licenses.

Response Signature

As @Nithin Eluvathingal mentioned, you can use the service wizard to convert VCS to expressway. when you select the required services in your setup, the next page display the required licenses. (you can run this any time to know what option keys that you need. but please dont press continue until you have required keys with you. The below screenshot is taken from new release of expressway only for references but if i remember correctly, there may be slight difference (release key etc)

image.png

image.png

Regards,

Shalid

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Platform convert by running service setup works from X12.6 removed the Expressway series option key (E00) and Traversal Server option key (T00).
If box is running with X.8.11.4, Expressway series option key will be requested during service setup converting platform from VCS to Expressway.
You need first upgrade your VCS to X12.6 or newer release for platform conversion by service setup.

Does the conversion work with smart licensing?  If I turn off a feature in the service setup wizard does it remove config?  

> Does the conversion work with smart licensing? 

New features from X12.5 are not supported for the Cisco VCS series, therefore must convert to Expressway platform first before enabling smart licensing on box.

Chapter 6 on administrator guide:
===================================================================================
Managing Licensing
This section describes the licensing options that are available for Cisco Expressway, and how to manage them.
Note that Smart Licensing mode is not supported for the Cisco VCS product, only for the Cisco Expressway Series.
===================================================================================

> If I turn off a feature in the service setup wizard does it remove config? 
Select Services in service setup makes change of what configuration in Web GUI, but not changing system configuration itself (still available from CLI for feature configuration even some services haven't selected in setup wizard).

Note, if "If I turn off a feature" refer to smart licensing feature, then "yes".
After smart licensing is enabled, the only way to revert back PAK-base licensing mode is to perform factory reset which will be removing most of system configuration (therefore highly recommend to take system backup before enabling smart licensing mode.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: