cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creat VCS Search Rules

mhmdeldeib
Level 1
Level 1

I want to creat search ruls on my VCSc and VCS ex to call this kind of format 111111@1.1.1.1 or 11111@uri

exactly i need to do to make thsi ruls on both vcs and VCS ex

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello Mohamed!

This is a pretty standard deployment.

Please read through:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Basic_Configuration_Cisco_VCS_Control_with_Cisco_VCS_Expressway_Deployment_Guide_X7-1.pdf

and configure your VCSs accordingly. It covers as well how to set up the VCSs for IP dialing as well as for DNS.

Martin

Mohamed: Please rate the answers using the stars below the messages!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

I would guess what they want is a h.323 call to a gk/bk with a e164 id maybe Annex O.

Its two things, its dependent on your endpoint how it dials, on a former Tandberg endpoint

you would still dial number@ip (in your example 11111@1.1.1.1).

What kind of endpoint do you use?

What kind of changes did you do from the standard deployment?

Especially the ip dialing has to be followed which is indirect on the vcs-c and direct on the vcs-e.

Do other external calls via the VCSe work?

Could you post a screenshot of the search history of that call?

It is fine to have the VCS-E behind a firewall, only remember if you put it in a DMZ

and use an internal address and NAT it towards its external address then you need

a special option key and sure, the firewall also has to be configured correctly :-)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To make proper search rule, need a bit more information.

• Are you try to make a call between Endpoint/MCU all registered on either VCS-C or VCS-E?
  • Are you expect to receive the call from external device (not register on VCS-C or VCS-E) with xxx@ or xxx@?
  • Will all Endpoint register on VCS-C and VCS-E are H323 base or SIP base, or mix of those as this may require additional transform on search rule.?
  • Are you try to make external device from register Endpoint (then require additional configuration)?

Thank you for your help

I have here endpoint (H323 and SIP) and MCU registered to VCS-C and there is VCS-E behind fire wall.

First I needed to call far end (have polycom system) with 111##1.1.1.1

Which didn’t work so they ask me to call  111@1.1.1.1  which should work if I have the right rules .

Yes I’m expect to receive the call from external device (not register on VCS-C or VCS-E) with xxx@ or xxx@

VCS-E

VCS-C

Thx

"there is VCS-E behind fire wall."

You would normally have the VCS-C behind  the firewall and the VCS-E outside the firewall, either in DMZ or in public as the whole point is to provide secure firewall traversal, something you won't get if you have both behind the firewall.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Hello Mohamed!

This is a pretty standard deployment.

Please read through:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Basic_Configuration_Cisco_VCS_Control_with_Cisco_VCS_Expressway_Deployment_Guide_X7-1.pdf

and configure your VCSs accordingly. It covers as well how to set up the VCSs for IP dialing as well as for DNS.

Martin

Mohamed: Please rate the answers using the stars below the messages!

Thanks jens for reply we have to keep it behind firewall for security reason.

Hi Martin thank you for share the document with me.i actually look at it before.and we had to change from the setting

mentioned in the document to meet some our requirement  .

I contact the far side to confirm the dialing format again because I tried it with standalone machine and also it didn’t work.

But they ask me to stick with this format

IP##Ext

1.1.1.1##11111

I tried from standalone machine and its working but when I tried from end point registered to the gatekeeper didn’t work.

I would guess what they want is a h.323 call to a gk/bk with a e164 id maybe Annex O.

Its two things, its dependent on your endpoint how it dials, on a former Tandberg endpoint

you would still dial number@ip (in your example 11111@1.1.1.1).

What kind of endpoint do you use?

What kind of changes did you do from the standard deployment?

Especially the ip dialing has to be followed which is indirect on the vcs-c and direct on the vcs-e.

Do other external calls via the VCSe work?

Could you post a screenshot of the search history of that call?

It is fine to have the VCS-E behind a firewall, only remember if you put it in a DMZ

and use an internal address and NAT it towards its external address then you need

a special option key and sure, the firewall also has to be configured correctly :-)

IP_address##Alias is Polycom proprietary "URI dialling", so I guess you must have either tried it from a stand-alone Polycom or a LifeSize system when it worked, however, it will not work when registered to a VCS-C as it is not H.323 Annex O compliant.

Alias@domain is the correct standard based Annex O format, but Alias@IP_address is also acceptable.

You can allow Polycom systems to call you using the proprietary format by implementing a pre-search transform, but this will only work for incoming calls.

I.e.using presearch transform:

Pattern string: (.*)##(.*)

Replace: \2@mydomain

will transform 1.1.1.1##11111 to 11111@mydomain

You can change mydomain to whatever fits your requirements.

As Martin pointed out; if you're NAT'ing the VCS-E, then you need the dual-nic option installed.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: