Views
Helpful
Replies

CS-kit-s-unit Standalone mode

omanetcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a cs-kit-s-unit that I want to use it in standalone mode, i set the default call protocol as H323, and in its setting I set the call setup mode as Direct and the Nat mode as ON and I specified the global IP address at the NAT address. The problem is when I make a call I send voice and video traffic but I didn't receive any video or audio traffic, the recipient see and hear me, but me don't.

AT my laptop I have the Polycom real presence application installed, when I call it from the cs-kit-s-unit, I encounter the same problem.

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As Wayne suggested - you have to configure the firewall for this to work. You have the endpoint on an internal network, NAT enabled, and since you mentioned a "global IP address", I'm assuming it's a one to many NAT. Here's how that works - lets say your codec has an internal address of 10.1.1.12, and your public facing address on your firewall is 12.12.10.10. You've configured the codec with the latter address in the NAT configuration, so when you dial out the codec is essentially telling the far end to send the traffic back to the 12. address. When it gets there, the firewall has to be configured to allow the UDP (audio and video) traffic plus it has to know what internal address to send it to, or else you will have exactly the problem you're having. Some firewalls have H.323 awareness that will see the outbound H.323 call and know where to send the return traffic, or you might just have to set up rules that specify where that traffic goes. If you have to do the latter make sure you use a static address on the codec - if you use DHCP and the address changes it would stop working. 

Hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have you configured the Media ports, and allowed all the right ports through your firewall?

Take a look at the SX20 as standalone post for what you need to configure (the configuration described there for an SX20 is pretty much the same as you will need for a RoomKit endpoint).

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Thank you sir for your quick reply,

I did all configuration as at the SX20 as standalone post, i don't think that is a port related probleme, as I mentionned at my initial post, even when i make a local call i don't receive audio nor video.

As Wayne suggested - you have to configure the firewall for this to work. You have the endpoint on an internal network, NAT enabled, and since you mentioned a "global IP address", I'm assuming it's a one to many NAT. Here's how that works - lets say your codec has an internal address of 10.1.1.12, and your public facing address on your firewall is 12.12.10.10. You've configured the codec with the latter address in the NAT configuration, so when you dial out the codec is essentially telling the far end to send the traffic back to the 12. address. When it gets there, the firewall has to be configured to allow the UDP (audio and video) traffic plus it has to know what internal address to send it to, or else you will have exactly the problem you're having. Some firewalls have H.323 awareness that will see the outbound H.323 call and know where to send the return traffic, or you might just have to set up rules that specify where that traffic goes. If you have to do the latter make sure you use a static address on the codec - if you use DHCP and the address changes it would stop working. 

Hope this helps. 

If you want to test it internally, you may need to un-configure the NAT settings if your firewall doesn't support hairpinning to keep all the traffic local.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: