Views
Helpful
Replies

CTS Phone Operational Status

gzicarelli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to monitor the operational status of the IP Phone connected to a CTS-1300 through SNMP, however I found that the MIB (CISCO-TELEPRESENCE-MIB) related to this hardware does not specifically address this requirement.

As far as I could test, ctpPeripheralStatus (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.643.1.2.1.1.3) would only indicate the attached status but not the TelePresence-ready status, which in turn is somehow different from CallManager's point of view (registered/unregistered), since the phone could be registered to CUCM and in fact not OK to take calls.

Hence what I found from an empirical standpoint is that the ready status is achieved when the phone successfully downloads and installs the MIDlet, that in turn being reflected when polling the MIB retrieving ctpPeripheralDescription (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.643.1.2.1.1.2):

ctpPeripheralDescription

iso.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.643.1.2.1.1.2.2 = STRING: "IP_PHONE -- MACAddress=AABBCCDDEE,HostName=SEPAABBCCDDEE,PhoneDN=1000,AppLoadID=jar75sip.9-2-1TH1-13.sbn,

BootLoadID=tnp75.8-3-4-16BN01.bin,Version=SIP75.921S,HardwareRevision=11.0,

SerialNumber=ABC12345XYZ,ModelNumber=CP-7975G,MidletVersion=TSPM-1.8.1-P1-1S"

ctpPeripheralStatus

iso.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.643.1.2.1.1.3.2 = INTEGER: 0

CtpPeripheralStatusCode ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION

STATUS          current

DESCRIPTION

"The textual convention identifies the peripheral status.

noError            (0) --

Expected peripheral device is functioning through

the attached port.

ctpPeripheralDeviceCategory

iso.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.643.1.2.1.1.4.2 = INTEGER: 3

CtpPeripheralDeviceCategoryCode ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    STATUS          current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The textual convention identifies the peripheral type.
        unknown              (0)  -- Unknown Device
        other                (1)  -- None of the listed device
        uplinkDevice         (2)  -- Device attached to CTS uplink port
        ipPhone              (3)  -- IP phone

If ctpPeripheralDescription show the phone's software listed then it is good. Perhaps the OK/Not OK Status as seen through CTS GUI is displayed after an evaluation of this sort?

I've asked around and did some further testing along but apparently this is the only way to assert correctly via plain SNMP, whether or not the phone is functioning properly.

Would there be any other way to check this?

Thanks in advance,

Gabriel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Paula Talamo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Gabriel,

Since you haven't received an answer yet, I am scanning my memory archives and what you have concluded matches what is in the MIBs, RFCs, and SNMP Trap Message doc for CTS Systems:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/cucm_cts/cucm_cts_admin_book/guide/cucm_cts_admin_mibs.html

The displayed phone load, midlet version and the noError(0) status of the ipPhone (3) should coincide with no errors in the GUI and the phone successfully showing the midlets and being TelePresence-ready.

HTH,

Paula

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Paula Talamo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Gabriel,

Since you haven't received an answer yet, I am scanning my memory archives and what you have concluded matches what is in the MIBs, RFCs, and SNMP Trap Message doc for CTS Systems:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/cucm_cts/cucm_cts_admin_book/guide/cucm_cts_admin_mibs.html

The displayed phone load, midlet version and the noError(0) status of the ipPhone (3) should coincide with no errors in the GUI and the phone successfully showing the midlets and being TelePresence-ready.

HTH,

Paula

Hello Paula,

Thank you very much for your reply!

Couldn't find the information in a compact form in the beginning but your answer is definitively what I was looking for.

Thanks once again.

Regards,

Gabriel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: