cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Diffserv / DSCP Settings

scott.j.hanson
Level 1
Level 1

For the C-series codecs, there are four items in the configuration that can have separate DiffServ values set: Video, Voice, Signaling, and Data. I think I understand the first three, but I'm unclear on "Data." Is that a reference to HTTP/HTTPS/SSH traffic (e.g. software updates, communication with TMS, admin logins)? Is there anything else I'm missing? I assume it does NOT refer to the "data" sent over the presentation channel, which would be included under the "Video" value.

5 Replies 5

Saurabh Gupta
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Scott,

Network [1..1] QoS Diffserv Data

The Diffserv Data defines which priority Data packets should have in an IP network. Enter a priority,

which ranges from 0 to 63 for the packets. The higher the number, the higher the priority. These priorities

might be overridden when packets are leaving the network controlled by the local network administrator.

NOTE: Requires the Network QoS Mode to be set to Diffserv.

Requires user role: ADMIN

Value space: <0..63>

Data: A recommended value is Diffserv Code Point (DSCP) AF23, which equals the value 22. If in

doubt, contact your network administrator.

Range: Select a value from 0 to 63.

Example: xConfiguration Network 1 QoS Diffserv Data: 0

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Saurabh

Saurabh,

He is asking specifically "what" traffic does the diffserv settings for Data pertain to.  Not just a definition of the concept.

I looked around Scott and was unable to identify what one would identify as "data".  I'm in TP training at RTP next week - I'll see if I can get an answer.

Regards,

Amir

Thanks Amir, you are correct. Please let me know what you find out. I had already read the administrator's manual as quoted by Saurabh above, but it doesn't answer the question I asked.

Hi Scott,

"QoS Diffserv Data" is for the packets for communicating with TMS/users; http/https, ssh, etc.

i.e., except following packets.

- Audio: audio RTP packet

- Video: video(main and contents) RTP packet

- Signalling: SIP and H.323

- ICMPv6

- NTP

Regards,

Yusuke

Yusuke,
4 years later your answer is still helpful. Thank you. I am finding that this setting for diffserv data is set to 0,24,26, and 32 on various endpoints in my environment. I assume that this is mostly user error, but also found this post that indicates that CUCM at one point in time may have the data dscp as well: https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/telepresence/ex90-sx20-qos-and-cucm-question/td-p/2185968.

I am surprised this is not more well documented in admin guides, as it seems that plenty have assumed "data" may have been part of the presentation sharing. As a Cisco employee, I assume you are in the video space so can be trusted :), but is this documented officially anywhere?

Thank you, Stephanie

Response Signature
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: