Views
Helpful
Replies

Direct IP calls incoming via Expressway E

Mihkel Laur
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! 

We have a Expressway solution for calls outside our organisation, CMS is on the inside. 

However there is one issue. We have a number of partners that still use legacy Polycom/Tandberg devices that are only capable of direct IP dialing.  Our partners just dial Expressway-e extenral IP address and in the logs i see Call rejected because Expressway cant route the call. 

Can I make the Expressway-E someshow understand these calls and route them to Exp-C (and then to CMS).

When our partners with newer installments dial name/number@company.com or name/number@x.x.x.x  everything works fine. We can also dial out via direct IP.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Configure the fallback alias to whatever destination you want, ideally an IVR to redirect calls as necessary.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hi

You have to create serach rule on expressway E : For eg. XXXX@ IP address 

On expressway C : XXXX@IP adresss Replace with \1@doamin.com

Here is an example of an incoming failed call: 

The Address is Incomplete because on their Polycom they dialed just the IP:''xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

tvcs: Event="Call Rejected" Service="H323" Src-ip="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" Src-port="5555" Src-alias-type="H323" Src-alias="xxx" Dst-ip="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" Call-serial-number="1af0d1df-4d63-47d1-a4d8-7fe09f40ac8b" Tag="01e73e31-8753-4e83-8465-cf94b7bf9b08" Protocol="TCP" Response-code="Address Incomplete" Level="1" UTCTime="2020-03-20 12:26:00,723"

If somebody is dialing your expressway-e ip alone, how would expressway-e know who they are trying to dial? That is something to consider. Because when in the legacy world when an ip was dialed the endpoint had the public ip directly on the internet. So you could dial it's Ip and reach the endpoint.

in this case the people with the legacy unit can't just dial the ip alone. expressway-e needs to receive a call in the form of alias@<ip_address>.

now if you are going to take random calls from the internet, whoever ends up dialing your ip, then you may need some sort of IVR which the call is routed to and then the far end could type in the alias of the person they are dialing.

Yes, and as far as i know, there is no IVR possibility on Expressway. 

This is an issue because there are still a lot of legacy devices out there that can only dial IPs.

You are right.

Do you have like a codian blade or bridge. Wonder if you could route calls to that IVR?

And you right. I have seen that with some of my clients. It's a pain to accommodate these legacy endpoints. Not to mention security issues.

Gaurav

No, expressway is all we have on the edge. 

There will be some years still until these ip-only devices are gone but until that time - would be great to have a solution to accommodate them. Without buying something new next to expressway.

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Configure the fallback alias to whatever destination you want, ideally an IVR to redirect calls as necessary.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Yes, thats the trick! 

Made the fallback alias to the meeting server IVR and now it works. 

Much appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: