cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does IPTV work if user is on VPN connection?

ROBERT TOGONON
Level 1
Level 1

This question came up at work, does IPTV work on a VPN connection using DSL or cable high speed?

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To answer your question I think it will be necessary to be more specific about the VPN connection.

A critical factor is that IP TV is transmitted via multicast. IPSec which is usually the foundation of IPSec is for unicast IP packets.

So if the VPN were a VPN client to concentrator type of connection then I would expect IP TV not to work. And when I tested it at a customer site it did not work.

However that customer also does site to site VPN (router to router) with IPSec and GRE tunnels. It allows any end station behind one router to communicate with any end station behind the other router. And it does support multicast. (We are using it primarily to carry dynamic routing which uses multicast and it works very well.) So I would expect that IP TV would work just fine over VPN if the VPN connection uses IPSec with GRE.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you for your reply Rick.

Our VPN users are using IPSec protocol on an ISA server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: