Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DX80 Windows Touchscreen Drivers ?

Hello all, 

Does anyone know if/when they are going to release a windows touch-screen driver for it ? The DX80 was launched in 2014 and still nothing... 

Can you upgrade the firmware of the DX80 end-device without CUCM ?

Tx,   

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Full agreement re: the picture quality being great.  I'd even suggest the speakers/mic are top-notch as well (although people say my side of the audio isn't as good since I upgrade to CE; I think perhaps the whole array mic bit isn't going on CE yet?).

While some in this thread say drivers to pass touch input through to a host operating system has never been on the DX roadmap, I must beg to differ because I was under the same impression in the early days of the DX.  I was under the impression that both passing through touch input and presenting the DX webcam to the host OS as a camera were "coming soon" after the DX launch.  I find it improbably that so many of us all had the same idea seeded in our head, so I suspect strongly we must have all heard such a claim from the same source.  I suspect it was at the Cisco Live! keynote where it was announced.

Last comment, I reiterate my complaint which I made elsewhere in this thread that DX80 is not usable as a second monitor and video endpoint/phone simultaneously.  Once you're on a call and the DX starts overlaying its' UI on top of the monitor display, the response time is so abysmal I can't even successfully move the mouse cursor on top of the thing(s) I want to click on.  It was bad-but-bearable on DX Android, it is 4x worse on DX CE, and DX CE 8.3.1 doesn't seem to make any improvement.  I finally replaced the DX80 with a traditional second monitor, and now have the DX80 operate as a dedicated video endpoint/phone which is only feasible because I have plenty of desk space.  Wouldn't fly in most office environments.

-jd

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am not aware of any plans for any touch screen drivers for Windows when using the DX80 as a computer monitor.  It's not really designed for that - the touch is for it's local functionality.

You can upgrade the DX80 without CUCM, you just need to download the ZIP package and copy the contained files to an appropriate directory on the TFTP server.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hello Wayne, 

Thanks for the response. Indeed it is not designed for that but neither does an expensive car to massage your back or auto-start and heat before you leave to work. I hope that you agree that we are not talking about any cheap device.

Can you elaborate on the DX80 upgrade, what is the appropriate directory ? Have you ever done this ? Does it work with any TFTP server or i still have to instal CUCM and activate the TFTP from there ? I have read the info's posted by cisco on the matter and not succeeded in doing the upgrade, further more, after default reset (powr + vlm up + mute), the device upgraded automatically to the sipdx80.40-2-4jbt0-146 load (I can mention that I did not set up any CUCM server) and after this auto-upgrade the touchscreen does not work anymore (In the android interface of course).

Best regards,

Gabriel

For a video conferencing device, the DX80 (and similarly, the SX10) is at what I'd call the lower end of the price scale and what I'd consider a "cheap" endpoint compared to the many other more capable systems we use which can range up to 50 times as much cost for one of our more complex installs (SX80 with multiple cameras, screens, etc).  So, it's by no means comparable to your "expensive car" when compared to the other video conferencing endpoints, it's just the base model with none of the bells and whistles (my car has none of those feature either).

No, I have not tried to upload the files via the TFTP server method manually to a DX80 yet (I haven't had a need to), but have done phones in a similar way previously. You usually just need to put the files on the TFTP server and make sure that your DHCP server sets the correct TFTP server in the DHCP Options so the device (in your case the DX80) knows where to request its files from.  This web site may help you with some of the process and files needed (it's the best I can link you to at short notice): https://support.cafex.com/hc/en-us/articles/201620801-How-to-Run-Cisco-DX80-DX650-against-Trial-Environment-running-on-Mac- doing similar in a windows environment if that's what you've got should also be easily achievable by using similar files, but the software you use for DHCP/TFTP will be different.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hello Wayne,

Thanks for the answer, unfortunately I did not yet succeed in doing the manual update. Very probable it is a skill situation but I will try again when I will get the time and reply if I do succeed. Regarding the "why", I only have one device at disposal and not in a corporate area (aka no server, no cucm, no nothing).
    Of course, at the moment, the device is extremely underused because only the secondary features are being exploited, aka: the android platform, the touchscreen, possibly the camera but not yet and inevitably it is connected to a Windows PC. Unfortunately, because of this situation I want these secondary features to work but at the moment the touchscreen does not respond nor in Android (At first it worked but after an auto update it is dead, no touch ), nor in Windows (this I partially understand because of the drivers), the Android is of course very limited (for example I tried to use Google sheets but it is crashing ). I hope that eventually (if I succeed in manual updating the firmware), I can get from this device something other than a plain old expensive PC monitor that starts very slow .

Best regards and thanks again for the answer and info.   

Ben Claudin
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I would just like to add to this. If I plug in the USB cable in the DX80 and my PC why does my PC recognize a touch input device?

Thanks

Ben

Hi, I am a new user of the DX80 as of this week, and I too am disappointed by the functionality of the device on my desktop. Yes, it is better quality than my webcam, but the device (running CE) does not support all of the connectivity apps that I use, such as Skype . . . so I don't get to discard my old webcam. It IS a monitor with speakers, but it takes a LOT of desktop real estate compared to my old 24" display. It registers on our voip system easily enough, but it cannot replace my 8841 phone set because it doesn't support a handset . . . and it doesn't partner very well with the 8841; e.g., if I am on a call and another comes in, I have to cancel it on both devices to stop the ringing.

That's all background, but I too would have found a Windows touchscreen driver to have been a useful upgrade in functionality. I was bemused by the Cisco response that "this ain't no expensive device", and relative to our organisation's Cisco telepresence installations, that's true, but relative to my prior desktop solution, it IS expensive in dollars and real estate. Additional functionality would IMHO help, but perhaps Cisco sees some market that is different from me/us. Me, I wouldn't recommend the device to others in my organisation.

Mark, 

I'm curious how usable you find the DX80 running CE is, as a second monitor?  I find two things about it too frustrating to use constantly:

* Too much stuff layered on top of the display.  Even with self-preview off, I have the main video channel and the presentation video channel small windows and I apparently can't make them go away.  I can move them, but I cannot seem to hide them altogether.

* Extreme screen latency.  The Android-powered DX80 was a little slow at displaying the monitor output when there were UI components composited on top of the monitor display, but I still thought it was usable.  I find the CE-powered DX80 to be something like 3x-4x slower, to the point that I find the latency to be so severe that it is hard-to-impossible to use a mouse when on an active video call with the video call minimized.

I find it to be fine as a dedicated video endpoint, but I don't see it surviving as a second monitor on my desk for too much longer now that I'm running the CE software on it.

-jd

JD,

I boxed the DX80 up two weeks ago, and it's off my desk.

I think you would need to be making very regular use of desktop video-calling to get value from the device, and to make it worth the desktop space it demands. It did offer a great image, and the document camera feature is cool, but I don't do enough single-person video conferencing to make it worthwhile. I run Cisco Jabber software on my desktop, so I have not lost the ability to do desktop videoconferencing (just lower quality).

I found the need to boot and run a second o/s unwelcome. If I were to keep the DX80 I'd need a local switch/hub - chaining the ethernet through the phoneset to the DX80 to the computer seemed to create problems of its own. My computer boots faster than the DX80, and so on boot-up it was not seeing connectivity, and that was creating some problems with our identity management here. There might have been some solution other than adding a switch, but I didn't spend much time searching for it.

So for me, an interesting product idea, but the feature/functionality didn't suit my own use case.

Mark

Todd Everett
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@GG,
From the data sheet:
" Top-notch monitor: You can use the DX80 as an external monitor when plugged into a laptop. It has a high-contrast LED panel with a wide viewing angle and a full touch surface. "

Not available as a Cisco Support Download
https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=286267306&flowid=71642&softwareid=282074288&release=CE8.3.1&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Please let me know if you find anything

Todd

Indeed, it works well as an external monitor, and straightforwardly.

It does have high contrast and a wide viewing angle.

But as an external monitor, it does not offer a touchscreen interface to the connected computer. The touch interface is limited to the device's own internal functions. You can see that affirmed by a number of comments.

Full agreement re: the picture quality being great.  I'd even suggest the speakers/mic are top-notch as well (although people say my side of the audio isn't as good since I upgrade to CE; I think perhaps the whole array mic bit isn't going on CE yet?).

While some in this thread say drivers to pass touch input through to a host operating system has never been on the DX roadmap, I must beg to differ because I was under the same impression in the early days of the DX.  I was under the impression that both passing through touch input and presenting the DX webcam to the host OS as a camera were "coming soon" after the DX launch.  I find it improbably that so many of us all had the same idea seeded in our head, so I suspect strongly we must have all heard such a claim from the same source.  I suspect it was at the Cisco Live! keynote where it was announced.

Last comment, I reiterate my complaint which I made elsewhere in this thread that DX80 is not usable as a second monitor and video endpoint/phone simultaneously.  Once you're on a call and the DX starts overlaying its' UI on top of the monitor display, the response time is so abysmal I can't even successfully move the mouse cursor on top of the thing(s) I want to click on.  It was bad-but-bearable on DX Android, it is 4x worse on DX CE, and DX CE 8.3.1 doesn't seem to make any improvement.  I finally replaced the DX80 with a traditional second monitor, and now have the DX80 operate as a dedicated video endpoint/phone which is only feasible because I have plenty of desk space.  Wouldn't fly in most office environments.

-jd

I was under the impression that both passing through touch input and presenting the DX webcam to the host OS as a camera were "coming soon" after the DX launch

That may have been the case with the initial Android build, but with the death of this and the migration to the CE code, and with the changes with Cisco Spark and consistency of the endpoint look and feel across multiple platforms, those things that may have previously been on the old Roadmap are likely not on the current one.

Similar with the HDMI output on the DX80, there is a port for it, but it is currently disabled, and (for what I believe are some internal hardware complexities) not likely to ever be implemented.  (The possibility of any touch screen driver may also be in the same category due to those previously mentioned hardware complexities).

So, in short, never purchase a product for what it may do in the future, as roadmaps and feature sets change, and those things may never come to fruition.

Wayne
--

Wayne

That may have been the case with the initial Android build, but with the death of this and the migration to the CE code, and with the changes with Cisco Spark and consistency of the endpoint look and feel across multiple platforms, those things that may have previously been on the old Roadmap are likely not on the current one.

Cisco being Cisco[1] doesn't change the fact that Cisco billed the product to do X at launch, and told us it would do Y shortly after launch.  I was simply trying to defend those in this thread who are being told that feature $x or $y was "never on the roadmap", because that is clearly not the way the story actually unfolded.  Cisco is a business and has every right to change their chosen direction on a product/solution, but by no means do we the consumers of said products/solutions have to agree with them.

So, in short, never purchase a product for what it may do in the future, as roadmaps and feature sets change, and those things may never come to fruition.

Congratulations, this is the most condescending thing some rando on the Internet has come out of the woodwork to say to me since the days of Usenet.  

At no point do I infer that I purchased the product FOR the two promised features I was discussing, I simply make the statement that the features WERE promised.  Your condescending statement infers that these two things are one in the same, when in reality you can obviously have one without the other -- as in this case.

-jd

[1]: "Cisco being Cisco" is heretofore defined as follows: When Cisco takes their previously-chosen product/solution which has been developed to the point that it could be objectively considered to be "80% of the way there", casts it off to maintenance mode and ceases further meaningful development on it in favor of their newly-selected product/solution which at initial release could only be objectively considered to be "20% of the way there".

this is the most condescending thing some rando on the Internet has come out of the woodwork to say to me since the days of Usenet.  

I'm sorry it came across that way (the vagueness of simple text cannot emphasise tone or emotion) - that was not the intent - just to point out (not necessarily to you, but anyone else considering buying something for it's "may be included at some stage in the future roadmap" functionality) that it's generally not a good idea to rely on these things as a given.

I do recall early discussion about the camera being able to be utilised by Android applications, but do not recall at all anything about the touch screen being able to be used to control an attached PC/laptop/etc.  I've been back through some of the launch and pre-launch documentation I have, and cannot see any reference to that at all.

Wayne
--

Wayne

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: