Views
Helpful
Replies

E20 to E20/peer-to-peer direct IP address call

gantidcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are trying to replace Polycoms with E20 in our smaller offices.  We are still trying to get the E20 to accept static Ip address.  It will gladly accept a DHCP offering if the unit is plugged into a VLAN with a DHCP server.  If we specify a static IP, it displays a network not found message.

All we are trying to do is make a direct peer-to-peer ccall using a publicly routed IP address.  Of course, since we are still unable to use static IPs, in our test setup we have two units plugged into a private subnet (172.16.140.50 and 172.16.140.51) that is assigning a DHCP address to both units.  Is it possible to initiate a direct ip call from 172.16.140.50 to 172.16.140.51?

thanks

DD

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mubakhta
Level 4
Level 4

Hi DD,

A couple of things to check. I am not sure if this is an issue with the IP conflict, I believe Ravi has pointed out correctly that if it is a conflict with the IP, you can address it.

Just to add to that, yes you can make direct calls. In order to make direct calls, please make sure that the software version on the E20 is TE4.1. Once you have the E20 running this version, you can setup the E20 as an H323 endpoint and you would be able to make direct calls to public IP addresses.

For more information, please refer to the release notes of TE4.1:

ftp://ftp.tandberg.com/pub/software/endpoints/te/Cisco%20IP%20Video%20Phone%20E20%20TE%20Software%20Release%20Notes%20(TE4).pdf

You can assign the IP addresses to the E20 and then make the Call setup mode Direct. Login to the API and issue the following command :

xConfiguration H323 Profile 1 CallSetup Mode: Direct

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Ravi Yadav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi DD,

As per the description if the the ip assigned to both the units are or same subnet then yes they should be able to call each other .

Please let us know the Ip adress coming on each device , i assume there is a ip conflict.

what is the software version running on the phone ?

Regards

Ravi

Hi DD,

Adding to Ravi reply on Call, Software version should be TE4.0.0 and above as H323 is supported TE4.0.0 and above.

Regarding Static IP issue, please let me know do you made changes related to VLAN on E20 and, did you reboot your codec after changing IP configruation from DHCP to static.

Please paste your vlan and IP config using following command in case of DHCP and Static, please make sure to reboot after IP change:

1. xconfig // vlan

2. xconfig // IP

3. xstat // IP

Regards,

Vivek

mubakhta
Level 4
Level 4

Hi DD,

A couple of things to check. I am not sure if this is an issue with the IP conflict, I believe Ravi has pointed out correctly that if it is a conflict with the IP, you can address it.

Just to add to that, yes you can make direct calls. In order to make direct calls, please make sure that the software version on the E20 is TE4.1. Once you have the E20 running this version, you can setup the E20 as an H323 endpoint and you would be able to make direct calls to public IP addresses.

For more information, please refer to the release notes of TE4.1:

ftp://ftp.tandberg.com/pub/software/endpoints/te/Cisco%20IP%20Video%20Phone%20E20%20TE%20Software%20Release%20Notes%20(TE4).pdf

You can assign the IP addresses to the E20 and then make the Call setup mode Direct. Login to the API and issue the following command :

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

thanks for the information.  I will try the H.323 end point setup and give it a try.  Both E20s have s/w version 4.1.1.  The static IP used is not a problem (no conflict).  The Ip address is unassigned and we can have a laptop using the same settings and get on to the public Internet and verify the IP address without a problem.  Cisco support indicated that they seem to have an issue with static IPs with this version of the firmware.

again, thank you all very much. 

Best regards,

DD

Hi DD,

Your welcome. Please give the feedback and tick the stars at the bottom of the replies to update the status of your question or issue. This helps in catagorizing resolved and unresolved posts. Hence, please give feedback if your question is answered. Feel free to post or message if you face further issues.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

I was able to successfully call from peer-to-peer using the H323 end point setup.  thank you very much.  The issue of the static Ip needs to be resolved by Cisco.  if needed, I will NAT the private address and open firewall to permit access to the unit.

thanks again for all your help.

best regards,

DD

Hi DD,

I am glad your issue is resolved. Please let me know if you require any assistance with the static IP as well.

Would be glad to help you out.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

radszuweit
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to achieve this and wonder if anyone who did this is still on the forum?

Please comment on my summary of configuration steps:

Default reset
Install TE 4.1 (4.1.1)
Setup H323 as Endpoint (? how)
Assign static IP addresses to the E20 and then make the Call setup mode Direct.
NAT the private address and open firewall to permit access to the unit.

Login to the API and issue the following command:

Is this all the steps?

Probably would have been best of you created a thread of your own on how to setup the E20 as a standalone endpoint using H323 instead of digging up a 4 year old thread.

If you're trying to configure the E20 using H323 as a standalone endpoint, take a look at the thread sx20-standalone. You can also search the forums for "standalone" for other configuration examples, the C/SX Series configuration is similar that you can use it as a starting point to configure the E20. 

Solved IP to IP / Peer To Peer:

1. Install TE 4.1.7 over web interface (use http: (https: do not work))

2. Default Reset Press ** "open computer button" ##

3. Use IP of the same Subnet and DHCP is default or set static IP

4. Call @xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to other H323 device, such as E20

-----Extras for Security-----

5. Turn off all Network Services except H323. (Telnet, SIP, HTTP, HTTPS etc etc)

6. Install firewall