cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EX60 not supporting ICE? Then how the media path worked from Internet calling scenairo?

startryst
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Experts

When two Jabber video clients call each other, it may estalish the STUN when two client calling each other from Internet, then I guess it will shown as "Non-traversal call" in VCS Expressway; Also, it may estalish an TURN Relay when STUN failed, then the VCS Expressway will shown an "Traversal Call with certain amount of TURN Relays, but the behavior will be different when trying on the hardware video endpoing point, like EX60, I found when EX60 calling from Internet to certain endpoint, say another Jabber Video in internet, the VCS exressway shown an Traversal call, but there isn't any TURN Relays for that....I captured the packet from the path and I found the Jabber video received the media packet not from EX60 directly, instead, it comes from the VCS Expressway, at least the source IP address of the media packet from VCS Expressway

So my question/confusion here is, what's the different between two Jabber Video call each to each from Internet compared with two EX60? I do clear for the ICE=STUN or TURN Relay, but if EX60 not supporting ICE, what's the machanism to fork the media to VCS expressway and then relay to the other end?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Why is that scenario "unfortunately?

You said it yourself, in the first scenatio the TURN relay is used, in the other scenario not.

The EX60 does not support STUN/TURN/ICE by today.

You'll notice it on the license usage as well as on the ports used on the VCS.

TURN Calls:

TURN server portSTUN
3478UDP

TURN relays port range

60000-61200

UDP

Default "Expressway" bound media calls:

Media port range

50000-54999

UDP

Assent   2776,2777 UDP

Please rate the answers using the stars below!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi!

None of the C/EX/MX/SX systems support by today STUN/ICE/TURN.

Its the expressway which is binding the media to itself forcing a traversal call.

This mechanism works without STUN/ICE/TURN and was there from the start of the

expressway (in general binding the media to it and handle firewall traversal is THE

usecase of the expressway from the beginning :-)

In short, if the endpoint uses assent or h460.18 on h323 or if the source and the

signaling ip are different on sip the VCS will force the media to it.

Here you can find some more info about traversal and local calls:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/articles/vcs_traversal_call_license_usage_kb_168.shtml

Talk to your Cisco Partner/Rep regards to file a feature reqest or have a talk under NDA about the future.

Hi, Martin

Thanks for reply, if two Jabber Video client calling each other from Internet, and unfortunately, they estalished the TURN Relays for the connection, then from the media path perspective, it looks the same as when two EX60 calling each other from internet, but is there any difference between the two?

Why is that scenario "unfortunately?

You said it yourself, in the first scenatio the TURN relay is used, in the other scenario not.

The EX60 does not support STUN/TURN/ICE by today.

You'll notice it on the license usage as well as on the ports used on the VCS.

TURN Calls:

TURN server portSTUN
3478UDP

TURN relays port range

60000-61200

UDP

Default "Expressway" bound media calls:

Media port range

50000-54999

UDP

Assent   2776,2777 UDP

Please rate the answers using the stars below!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: