Views
Helpful
Replies

EX90 Shutdown at EOB or put in standby

jeroenhermans
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Guys,

We are just starting to deploy EX90 units and were wondering if we should leave these units on all the time (in standby during the night) or shut them down completely during the night?

What are other people doing?

Thanks,

Jeroen

10 Replies 10

amehla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jeron,

well there is no problem if you put your EX90 on standby, however, TC 6 version allows to shutdown device from web interface or you can also do it by pressing power button on unit till it shutdown itself.

amehla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

i keep my EX90 on standby all time

Hi Jeroen,

From my past experience with EX90 , I would recommend you to turn off EX90 at EOB and before you leave for home.

In past some instances, We have seens after certain time ( may be 10 days) when system is on Standby - The Unit Starts Emitting larger Heat and in some instances even fumes coming out of EX90.

My intention is not to scare you or discourage you from using EX90 and even I am not discouraging any of Cisco's product's here. However, I have encountered this issue in past. May be Cisco has fixed this problem now.

There are two advantages of keeping the System Shutdown :-

• Saves Power
  • Saves Unnecssary usage of System DSP resources.

Hope this was informative to you.

Thanks,

Saurabh

Hi Saurabh!

If I would see smoke coming out of the system I would directly call TAC (or the fire department, depending on the criticalness level :-)

I never heard any other reports like that and I also have a system at home which is on more or less 24/7.

But what I really can back up is the power saving idea.

I have the feeling that many of the former Tandberg products are not ideal regards power saving and

consuming a lot of power, some even on standby. Hope new generations of endpoints will improve that!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hey Martin,

May be you are lucky few people.

As per my past experience working in TAC, we do have seen these issues.

Not to disclose, even we have seen these issues happening to our internal Cisco folks.

As per my latest knowledge, this issue has disappeared now after since BU has made significant changes to EX90 hardware.

Rest may be a Cisco Endpoint Expert can throw more light on this issue.

Thanks,

Saurabh

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I will be shutitng the units down in the evening before I leave.

Rgds,

Jeroen

Hi Jeroen,

Please mark the question as answered and rate the answers above if you think you are queries were answered and you are satisfied with the replies.

Thanks,

Saurabh

Sumeet Rakesh
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

It's better to be on Standby rather than shutting it down daily.

Regards

Sumeet Rakesh

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We have around 20 EX90s.  We leave ours powered on 24x7 and don't have any issues.  They all go to standby mode after 5 minutes.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Ravi Yadav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jerone

I would agree to Martin and Amit,
You can simply leave ur devices turned on/ standby , this device is designed to be working in that way.

What Sourabh has mentioned will be exceptions which are there everywhere

Rest a out power saving that would be a plus point if you turn of the device

Thanks
Ravi kr.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App