cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange two endpoints on TMS

fwadmin
Level 1
Level 1

We have planned on switching two endpoints in TMS. The two endpoints are currently located at two meeting rooms. Currently Room1 has a Cisco Telepresence SX80 and Room2 has a Cisco Telepresence SX20. Basically what we want to move SX80 to Room2 and move SX20 to Room1. We have never done this before and wonder if anyone could provide some instructions with this. We also want to make sure that all existing bookings (we have TMSXE for scheduling meetings in Outlook) are still there after the swap. Any response would be much appreciated!

5 Replies 5

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

Depends on your naming convention and dial plan. If they have E.164 and/or SIP URIs which stay the same, regardless of their physical location, then you can move endpoints around as you please without any problems.

It's only when you physically replace one endpoint with another, i.e. upgrade or replace faulty kit, you will need to use the replace function in TMS.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Thanks for your response, Jens.

We name our video end points based on their physical locations. For instance, if a meeting room is in the lobby on the second floor in building1, we name the endpoint in this room as "Building1.02 Lobby Cnf Rm.VC-Rm".  End users can book video conference rooms via Outlook.

What will happen to all the existing bookings for the two video conference rooms after the swap? Will the bookings stay the same?

For example:

Current:VCRoom1: SX80 -> 10.10.10.10 – hostname1;

VCRoom2: SX20 -> 11.11.11.11 – hostname2;

The two video conferencing rooms are in two different locations.

Next:     VCRoom1: SX20 -> 11.11.11.11 –hostname2;

VCRoom2: SX80 -> 10.10.10.10 –hostname1;

SX20 and SX80 have static IP addresses so I think SX20 and SX80 will still get their IP addresses once they are switched over and up and running again.

Would all the existing bookings for VCRoom1 be linked to VCRoom2 after the swap? We don’t want this to happen. I think we will need to change their IP addresses/host names. After the swap we will need to change the IP address of SX20 in VCRoom1 to 10.10.10.10/hostname1 and change the IP address of SX80 in VCRoom2 to 11.11.11.11? I am a bit confused, correct me if I am wrong.

Here's my understanding of how it works. 

TMS assigns a "System ID" to each device when you add it.  It's this System ID that is assigned to each of the bookings.

If you swap the details on each endpoint after booking them, the TMS booking will follow the System ID that it was booked on, so it'll end up, in your case, calling the "wrong room".

If you do a "replace system", then TMS is smart enough to move the bookings from the old ID to the new one, but just wanting to directly swap two, this won't help you, you'd need to stand up a third device and do multiple "replaces" to get it correct, ie, replace SX80 with temp device.  Replace SX20 with SX80, replace temp device with SX20.  You'd need to re-instate each "replaced" device in between each step as well as a new temporary device.  It's a bit messy, but do-able.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I was afraid that was the case, so I can only echo Waynes reply.

The only other option would be to move and rename etc the endpoints and then edit all future bookings involving these systems, one by one - or delete them all and start again.

Whether a system has a static IP address or not is really neither here nor there if you set TMS to track systems using their MAC addresses - we only use DHCP these days.

/jens

Thanks Wayne and Jens. I think your answer is correct. We will swap the two units tomorrow and will let you know the results.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: