cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Expressway B2B Video Calls - License Question

mbroberson1
Level 3
Level 3

I have a question regarding the licensing of Expressway C & E when making B2B (across the internet) video URI dialing calls. 

Are you required to have a RMS license on the Expressway C & E if your codec (SX20) is registered to your CUCM when making B2B video URI calls? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you're making a call between a registered CUCM endpoint and the other endpoint is not registered to your call manager (ie: B2B), you will require RMS licenses.

If you're making a call between two registered CUCM endpoints, where one is internally registered to call manager and the other is registered via the Mobile and Remote Access, you do not require RMS licenses because endpoints registered to call manager using MRA don't consume a call license.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Rich Media Session License are required for all B2B calls, the below paragraph is taken from the Expressway Data Sheet:

Cisco Expressway Rich Media Session License

Required for concurrent calls to/from any endpoint or application not registered to Cisco Unified Communications Manager. For example, Business to Business Calls, Cisco Collaboration Meeting Rooms, Jabber Guest and for interworked calls e.g. H.323 to SIP, H.264 AVC to H.264 SVC.

Patrick,

I did notice the paragraph at the bottom of the Expressway data sheet you are referring to. The clarification part I needed is that it states "not registered to Cisco Unified Communications Manager". My Codecs are registered to my CUCM and that is what was causing the confusion with me.

Regards

If you're making a call between a registered CUCM endpoint and the other endpoint is not registered to your call manager (ie: B2B), you will require RMS licenses.

If you're making a call between two registered CUCM endpoints, where one is internally registered to call manager and the other is registered via the Mobile and Remote Access, you do not require RMS licenses because endpoints registered to call manager using MRA don't consume a call license.

Thanks and this is where I was needing the clarification.

Regards

There is also another explanation of the call license types, though the only place that I know it's located off the top of my head is the Expressway Mobile and Remote Deployment Guide on pg 40, in the "Additional Information" section.  Might also help and provide a better explanation beyond what's already posted.

Patrick, Thank You!

Is there a best document you like on the implementation of B2B video URI dialing with Expressway using endpoints such as SX20's, etc...? The attached document is about the best I have to go off of.

Regards,

The Expressway Basic Deployment Guide would be a good place, it covers the basic setup and configuration to dial out via DNS to external endpoints.

if i have B2B multi-site call how many RMS license required ?

sx20 registered with cucm make a B2B  multi site call with 2 unregistered telepresence  endpoints

The SX20's need to be registered with your CUCM, the video calls will be direct SX20 to SX20, with it being multi-site and traversing your WAN (or LAN), its internal communication and never hits the Expressways. If it is a B2B video (URI dialing as such) across the Internet each Expresseay will need  1 RMS license for a concurrent video call. 

i am sorry  i am asking about video conference through expressway between 1 registered and 2 unregistered does it requires only 2 rms or 4 rms ?

it is not only 1 rms for concurrent call 

2 concurrent calls hosted by SX20 registered on CUCM to extenal endpoints (unregistered) will require 2 RMS licenses on Expressway Core and 2 RMS licenses on Expressway Edge.

regards,

Acevirgil

seanscott83
Level 1
Level 1

Yep, I had a call with my Cisco sales team about this last week. I'm deploying Expressway C & E only to make outbound SIP calls.

It's quite frustrating that you need to buy two licenses, one for Expressway Core and one for Expressway Edge, for every "Rich Media" call when endpoints are registered to CUCM and will never do anything but bypass the Expressway C to go to the edge...

seanscott83,

So I have to purchase 2 "Rich Media" license and apply one to the Exp C & one to the Exp E...correct?

Regards

You are correct, for every call that requires an RMS licenses, you will need two RMS licenses, one for Expressway-Core and Edge.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: