Views
Helpful
Replies

Expressway C & E High Availability license

@Syed
Level 3
Level 3

Dear All,

I have expressway C & E one each in my network and I am planning to have secondary servers for both of these C & E.

May I know what license should I be purchasing to fulfill the requirement.

Let me know if you need more info on this.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Earlier the requirement to achieve a cluster was to have same option keys on both the servers.

For e.g. if one server has 10 RMS and other server must also have RMS license but the number could vary for e.g. on second node you could only have 2 RMS. The cumulative licenses used to be shared across the cluster and when one peer goes down you have 14 days of grace period to recover that node.

With the new updates, the requirement to have same option key is been removed for options like RMS. So if you don't install RMS license on second node and you have 10 on first node, you can still cluster it and you have 10 licenses shared across the cluster. 14 days of grace period still applies.

Regards,

Alok

View solution in original post

From the cluster creation guide under Clustering Prerequisites:

All peers have the same set of option keys installed, with the following exceptions:
— For VCS: Traversal and non-traversal call licenses
— For Expressway: Rich Media Sessions
— For Expressway: Room system and desktop system registration licenses
— TURN relay licenses
All other license keys must be identical on each peer

So, all but the following licenses in your list are required:

• LIC-EXP-TURN

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No license is needed to create an Expressway cluster.

There are prerequisites however, such as each Expressway serve must run the same software version, have the same feature keys installed, among other things, be sure to take a look at the Expressway Cluster Creation and Maintenance Deployment Guides.

That sounds great.

Thank you for your prompt support, Patrick.

Quick question patrick!

Do I need to install Rich Media Session on the new servers as well (secondary Exp C & E)?

RMS licenes are required for concurrent calls to and from any endpoint or application not registered to CUCM, such as: B2B, CMR Cloud, Jabber Guest, and interworked calls (H.323 to SIP, H.264 AVC to H.264 SVC).

Earlier the requirement to achieve a cluster was to have same option keys on both the servers.

For e.g. if one server has 10 RMS and other server must also have RMS license but the number could vary for e.g. on second node you could only have 2 RMS. The cumulative licenses used to be shared across the cluster and when one peer goes down you have 14 days of grace period to recover that node.

With the new updates, the requirement to have same option key is been removed for options like RMS. So if you don't install RMS license on second node and you have 10 on first node, you can still cluster it and you have 10 licenses shared across the cluster. 14 days of grace period still applies.

Regards,

Alok

Excellent info Alok, thank you.

I just want to double check one thing that is 

I have the following option keys installed one the current/primary severs.

expressway c:

lic-Exp-series

lic-exp-gw

expressway e:

lic-exp-series

lic-exp-gw

lic-exp-an

lic-exp-e

lic-exp-turn

so, I must have all the above option keys installed on the secondary severs as well or is it only on the primary ones?

From the cluster creation guide under Clustering Prerequisites:

All peers have the same set of option keys installed, with the following exceptions:
— For VCS: Traversal and non-traversal call licenses
— For Expressway: Rich Media Sessions
— For Expressway: Room system and desktop system registration licenses
— TURN relay licenses
All other license keys must be identical on each peer

So, all but the following licenses in your list are required:

• LIC-EXP-TURN

Thank you for the clarification, Patrick.

I shall post here if I have any further queries before procuring the licenses.

I have requested Cisco licensing team for the above set of licenses.
The good news is that I got all the licenses with out any cost because we have an active software support contract.