Views
Helpful
Replies

Expressway with VPN solution?

@Syed
Level 3
Level 3

Dear All,

I have come across a new and unusual requirement for Expressway MRA with VPN. Is it possible?

Call flow should be:

Windows jabber client with VPN client -- Cloud -- VPN extender -- Expressway-E -- Expressway-C -- CUCM -- Windows jabber client with VPN client.

How does RTP flow, in this case?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

No workarounds as of now, only UDS will work over MRA and other methods are not supported and wont work properly if at all.

View solution in original post

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Nope. There are no workarounds. Another thing to add, if you do contact photo resolution, you need the photos hosted on a web server.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

I am wondering if you need your employees to go thru the VPN connection to get Jabber services, whats the point in deploying Expressways ? You basically don't need Expressways. Users can connect to CUCM, IMP and CUC using the VPN solution.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

You are correct.

VPN is inevitable here due to security concerns.

Let me explain the scenario, all the users are working from home and they are connected through VPN extender. The jabber users are able to registered with call manger and calls can be established, but we are experiencing no way audio issues.

The VPN extender is unable to route RTP traffic, so planning to go with Expressway. 

Any feasible solutions are welcomed.

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
What are the requirements to have this ? Anyconnect VPN and Expressway can co-exist but you need to ensure that Jabber traffic does not use the Anyconnect tunnel.
Read here for further details -

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Borderless_Networks/Unified_Access/BYOD_Design_Guide/BYOD_CollabEdge.html

Hello,

I am able to implement the above solution successfully.

But there is one challenge that I cannot think of anything to fix this.

Here is the problem description:

LDAP filter search is not working after connected through expressway.

My users don't want to search each other, but only want to see their managers or admins. Admins should be able to see all other users under them.

I checked the ldap query. its working fine with AD. Also jabber client shows the directory connection as UDS protocol and ip address shows as that of cucm instead of AD.

Users have service profile where it defined AD servers and filter query, it was working before without any issue until traffic started passing through expressway. 

Can anyone point me to the right direction, meaning the directory connection should be AD but not UDS.

Thanks in advance

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Jabber over MRA will use UDS for contact resolution.

Is there a workaround??

No workarounds as of now, only UDS will work over MRA and other methods are not supported and wont work properly if at all.

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Nope. There are no workarounds. Another thing to add, if you do contact photo resolution, you need the photos hosted on a web server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: