cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

External Endpoints Dialing by IP to VCS Expressway

em6557
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer which have external endpoints that can only dial by ip.How would I set up the expressway to route the calls to the proper internal endpoint registered to the VCS.

7 Replies 7

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

The quickest, simplest and easiest way would be to use the fallback alias function on the VCS-E.

This will allow people to dial the public IP address of your VCS-E, the call willl then be sent to the destination matching that alias, this could be a specific endpoint, a MCU auto-attendant, a virtual meeting room etc etc.

See

VCS configuration-->Dial plan-->Configuration

Bit curious as to what kind of end-points/deployment these people have since they can't do URI dialling...heh - even Vidyo can do that to external systems these days.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Thanks. The only question left is that there are multiple internal endpoints that would need to be reached in the same manner. The endpoints are older Polycom FX's approx. 12 years old.

Hi.

Like the Jens said, you can send the call to the MCU for example, you can create a Auto-attendant and direct the calls for there.

Regards

Hi,

In addition to the auto attendant, you can also use transforms on the VCS to route to the proper endpoint as well.

E.g. public user call 101@vcsipaddress, you can have a transform to route this call to e.g. 192.168.0.100 etc.

If you have multiple endpoints registered on internal IP addresses, this is an alternative way to do it. If you only have one endpoint, you can do it like Jens describe.

Hope this helps,

Arne

Hi Em,

You could always use normal search rule to do this as well - very similar to transform but a little more pliable. Your old Polycom endpoints will support H.323 and as such you will be able to set up an E.164 alias. These can be kind of like your endpoint extension number, i.e. 1001, 1002, 1003 etc. I am assuming that these will register to an VCS Control internally - correct?

The external party can dial the VCS-E using "1001@ipaddress_vcse" - which they should be able to do (although to format might change depending on what manufacturer of CODEC they use. The search rule can strip off the IP address and leave the extension number and will then forward the request tot he VCS-C via a traversal zone. The VCS-C can then lookup the E.164 of the registered unit, and et viola.

One point to note. we explicitly STOP this kind of dialling as we (as many other find) receive a lot of spam SIP call direct at the VCS-E using this kind of format. To get around the issue we normally dial out to the client direct from our MCU, or allow a direct IP dial in to the MCU, but not the endpoint.

I thnnk the basic VCS setup admin guide provides the necassay inof or setting up something similar. Hope this helps

Chris

em6557 wrote:

Thanks. The only question left is that there are multiple internal endpoints that would need to be reached in the same manner. The endpoints are older Polycom FX's approx. 12 years old.

Aha, then they'll probably support Polycoms proprietary "URI dialling", VCS-E_IP_address##Alias ?

If so, then you can create a transform on the VCS-E which will transform this to Annex O format.

This is one of the ways you could do this:

Pattern type: Regex

Pattern string: (.*)##(.*)

Pattern behavour: Replace

Replace string: \2@mycompany.com

This will transform something like 123.123.12.1##12345 to 12345@mycompany.com

You'll have to play around with priorities etc.

(Note if these end-points are registered to something like a VBP, then the VBP can be configured to support Annex O, but that depends on firmware version)

If these old PLCM systems don't support the above, well, then your options are very limited indeed, maybe allow them to register to your VCS-E? If so they will have to have public IP addresses and must not be NAT'ed - well, that works at least with 13 year old TANDBERG systems, don't know about 12 year old PLCM systems though.

I only use the fallback alias method if there is absolutely no other option available.

I.e. I had a government department which did not allow incoming calls, and could only do IP address dialling for some very specific reasons, so using the fallback alias was the one and only solution.

However, I don't allow this to sit in place indefinitely, but limit the use to that specific call at that specific date/time.

There is a search rule which can be used to reach end-points which is not registered to the VCS; "Any IP Address", whether this will work with systems registered to the VCS-C I do not know and, in any case, Cisco does not recommend its use and because of that it only gets a very brief mention in the Admin guide.

You might in the end, have to initiate the calls from your endpoints - and maybe very gently suggest that it could be time they upgraded their systems.

/jens

hi

i'm configured thes tramsform con expressway-e but the solutions no work.the system say not found. but when the extrernal enpoint dial 1000@mydomain.com the call is successfully

thant do you think about?

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: