cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Facial Recognition feature Camera/Codec setup

mendee1
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen way back in the past (2014) that the SpeakerTrack 60 had facial recognition features. I am not able to find anything that would enable this or any new/current documentation that says its possible. Does anyone know any about this? i have SX80 with speakertrack and I also have Codec Pro with Speaker Track but i could switch them to a quad cam if that supports it (?). My units are registered to CUCM on prem but I could switch to cloud webex registration. I saw in the webex admin that there is a feature for the recognition but I dont know if it would transfer to the telepresence devices. Thanks in advanced.

2 Replies 2

H@ppyLarry
Level 1
Level 1

If I recall correctly, the SpeakerTrack uses audio and acoustics to identify the direction of a speaker, as opposed to 'facial recognition' which is more commonplace today. It's been a few years since I was in front of one, but I recall the unit had small 'pin holes' located around the periphery of the front casing and that these were an array of built in microphones. As I recall these are used with the software feature within the codec, so that when a person speaks, the microphones pick up the audio and use the differences between direct and reflected sound to locate the general direction of the speaker. Not perfect, but not bad - the accuracy seemed to vary depending on the size and acoustics of the room, but with 2 cameras it stood a fair shot at getting it right. If I recall at the time the product hit the market, facial recognition (as we know it) was probably fairly new and would have required a separate dedicated CPU/software/$$$$. Also found and attached installation guide which has some details. Hope this helps.

Patrick McCarthy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Speaker Track 60 system does indeed have facial recognition capability. It uses a combination of audio triangulation and facial recognition to determine what is the next camera shot it will use to display to the far end while in a call. This prevents it from zooming in on a ringing phone sitting on a table, for example. The ST60 does not, however, have the people counting feature, which I'm guessing might be what you're really asking about. If so, you would need to move to a newer camera setup, the cameras that support people counting are all the new Room Series - Room Kit Mini, standard Room Kit, and the Quad Cam unit, usually used with the RK Plus or Pro - but a Quad Cam with an SX80 also has people counting capability. 

Hope this helps!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: