Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I Upgrade an E20 via Serial

I have a E20 with a non-functioning network interface.  I've IP'd the interface using the GUI, admin with the xconfig command , and as root using the ifconfig command.  None work fully.  The IP appears to bind to the interface, however I can not ping the default gateway nor can I ping from the default gateway to the unit.  Here's something even more interesting...I can connect a PC or Mac up to the PC port and they can traverse the E20 to the default gateway and beyond without any problems.  So those must be completely independent.?.?

So, I need to upgrade the unit using the serial cable since the network interface isn't reliable nor working.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

the Marvell ethernet switch used within the codec seems to disagree on the speed with the ethernet switch it is connected to. We can try and nail it to 100M to see whether that works?

I changed my EX90 to 100M, but I do not see the speed change immediately, so I rebooted.

This is before the reboot.

[dderidde-ex90-home:/tmp] $ ethtool eth0

Settings for eth0:

Supported ports: [ MII ]

Supported link modes:   1000baseT/Full

Supports auto-negotiation: No

Advertised link modes:  1000baseT/Full

Advertised pause frame use: No

Advertised auto-negotiation: No

Speed: 1000Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: MII

PHYAD: 1

Transceiver: external

Auto-negotiation: on

Supports Wake-on: d

Wake-on: d

Current message level: 0x0000003f (63)

Link detected: yes

[dderidde-ex90-home:/tmp] $

And after reboot all remained the same.

How can I nail up the speed and duplex?

From tsh admin shell I did :

sys-marvel port 

OK

This dumps data in /var/log/console about the Marvell swtich config, but could not see the speed settings/auto negotiation there either.

Do not know how I can set the ethernet then.

xConfiguration Network 1 Speed: 100Full

Tried this :

[dderidde-ex90-home:/] $ ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

[dderidde-ex90-home:/] $ ./apps/set_eth0_speed     

That seemed to turn off autonegotiation at least.

[dderidde-ex90-home:/] $ ethtool eth0

Settings for eth0:

Auto-negotiation: off

[dderidde-ex90-home:/] $

But still it shows speed 1000.

Do not know what to trust here....

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Danny De Ridder
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

on the EX90 we also have a LAN connection and a PC connection. However, when one puts he LAN cable into the PC connection, the EX90 works normally, i.e. it can register and make calls, but the touch panel shows "NoLAN" even when all is working. I wonder whether you can do the same on E20, i.e, plug your LAN connection into the socket named PC on the E20. On EX90 we have an internal Marvell ethernet switch. Perhaps for E20 it is also some internal switch. So, could you try the hookup your E20 using that PC port instead and see whether the E20 becomes reachable?

Danny.

Connecting the network cable into the PC port didn't work.

mubakhta
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Anthony,

The serial interface is only used to interact with the system and not for data transfers. It is just another console port. As you're aware, console ports are used to provide as an interface so that you could send and receive commands to the device.

That being said, it looks to me that you're hitting a known bug with E20 not taking static IP address.

We have seen this as a common issue mostly with the E20s out of the box. They do not take the static IPs and even swapping the software does not seem to work.

The steps we had followed in the previous cases were following :

-Configure the E20 to use DHCP and make a DHCP server on your network which can assign an IP address to the E20 device

-Downgrade to TE 4.0.0

-Configure Static IP

-Upgrade to TE 4.1.1

It is important to note that the downgrade and upgrade procedure needs to be a new upload rather than a software swap.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar
TelePresence Solution Group

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Setting up a dhcp server didn't work.  I verified the dhcp server is working by using a EX60 and it grabbed an IP after about 30 seconds.  I did an ifconfig to see if the interface did obtain one and the application just didn't register it.  The interface didn't.  So I went into my switch to confirm that at least the MAC address was visible and it is.  I do a 'show arp' the E20 of course is not listed.  When I do a 'show mac address' the MAC is listed.

Back to root.  I typed in 'ifconfig eth0 down'  then 'ifconfig eth0 up' and got the errors below.

eth0:  attached PHY driver [Marvell 88E6121]  (mii_bus:phy_addr=1:01, id=1410cb1)

ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

PHY: 1:01  - Link is up  - 1000/Full

I've got it plugged into a 100 meg xcvr, so I'm puzzled at why and how it's at 1000.

As a last resort, I would recommend that you factory reset the system and then try to assign an IP via DHCP and see if the endpoint takes an IP address, if it doesn't that means that the port is faulty and probably requires a replacement.

Thanks

Mubashshir Akhtar

TelePresence Solution Group

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

I tried the factory reset then config for DHCP...it didn't acquire an address.  I get the same errors and behavior.  I will try to use the 'ethtool', but I tried that before and it wasn't found on the E20; but I'll try it again.

Hello,

the Marvell ethernet switch used within the codec seems to disagree on the speed with the ethernet switch it is connected to. We can try and nail it to 100M to see whether that works?

I changed my EX90 to 100M, but I do not see the speed change immediately, so I rebooted.

This is before the reboot.

[dderidde-ex90-home:/tmp] $ ethtool eth0

Settings for eth0:

Auto-negotiation: on

[dderidde-ex90-home:/tmp] $

And after reboot all remained the same.

How can I nail up the speed and duplex?

From tsh admin shell I did :

sys-marvel port 

OK

This dumps data in /var/log/console about the Marvell swtich config, but could not see the speed settings/auto negotiation there either.

Do not know how I can set the ethernet then.

xConfiguration Network 1 Speed: 100Full

Tried this :

[dderidde-ex90-home:/] $ ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

[dderidde-ex90-home:/] $ ./apps/set_eth0_speed     

That seemed to turn off autonegotiation at least.

[dderidde-ex90-home:/] $ ethtool eth0

Settings for eth0:

Auto-negotiation: off

[dderidde-ex90-home:/] $

But still it shows speed 1000.

Do not know what to trust here....

Sorry for the extreme delay on this.  But working with the E20 has been ... a learning experience!!!!  the config.db file is actually in /mnt/base/active/configuration/     I still get the same output from the 'ethtool eth0' as Danny DeRidder.  It makes absolutely no sense especially when I'm using a 100Mb/s xceiver.  But anyway, I've found that it helps immensely to reboot after every change so that you know it has teken effect.  I've installed 20 of these things and they each have given the "ADDRCONF (NETDEV_UP) eth0" error and they EACH have been resolved differently.  No two were identical.  The tech doc from Cisco Live that Danny DeRidder posted helped a little, but the EX90 I imagine is so feature-rich in comparison to the E20 that most of the doc didn't apply.

Version 4.1.1.273710 supports both SIP and H323, plus it has the ethtool utility but version 4.0.0 only supported H.323 and didn't have the utility.

Hello.

I am glad you sorted things out. E20 is not my area of expertise, so I do not have much useful information on it as I do for TC running platforms.

Regards,

Danny.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: