Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to downgrade VCS from X8.6.1 to X7.2.3

Hi  everyone,

We have a standalone Cisco VCS CE1000 Appliance,it's software is X8.6.1,we need downgrade to X7.2.3. I know we need a release key for downgrade, but there is a error always occur.

Just like this:

log “root:Release key invalid!

System Upgrade:System error:Relase key invalid !

I want to know how to downgrade the VCS from X8.6.1 to X7.2.3. Is there any detail steps?

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I think CE is first launched with x8.1 release. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/install_guide/Cisco-VCS-CE1000-Install-Guide-X8-1.pdf

You can rename the software file "tandberg-image.tar.gz" and release key in a text file and name as "release-key" (without the extension .txt). Login via root and then upload the release key first and then the software file under /tmp folder. Wait on root prompt. If the downgrade work you will see notification on root CLI.

However as i said, i am not 100% sure if its going to work or not. Give it a try and update me as well :).

Regards,

Alok

View solution in original post

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Important that CE1000 Appliance support X8.1.1 and onward.

This mean you CAN'T downgrade CE1000 Appliance to X7.x software version.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It should be pretty much the same process as upgrading, but you just use a different (older) release key and firmware file.

Go to Maintenance / Upgrade.

Click the "Choose file" button and select the X7.2.3 firmware .tar.gz file

Put the X7.2.3 Release Key in to the "Release Key" field.

Click the Upgrade button.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne has the correct procedure, however I believe the VCS will factory reset during the downgrade, so make sure you take screenshots of every page as you will need to manually rebuild all the settings.

This quote is from the VCS Release notes:

"We do not support downgrades. Do not install a previous Cisco VCS version onto a system that is running a newer version. If you do so, the system configuration will not be preserved."

Thanks,
Justin Ferello

Hi Justin

Thanks for your response, i just want to downgrade the VCS,but it cannot complete

Yes,i also do that just like you said.But we always met the that error,and cannot complete downgrade.

What is the serial number for the system?
Thanks,
Justin Ferello

What is the reason, you are trying to downgrade? As far as i remember for CE1000 you needed x8.1.1. or later. 

Have you tried the other workaround process by uploading the file to /tmp folder from root? Not sure if it will work, but worth a try.

Regards,

Alok

HI Alok Thanks for you response. It's really for what you say? but i didn't notice the CE1000 need X8.1.1 or later. Is there any document for explain this ?

And how to do "uploading the file to /tmp folder from root" ?

I think CE is first launched with x8.1 release. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/install_guide/Cisco-VCS-CE1000-Install-Guide-X8-1.pdf

You can rename the software file "tandberg-image.tar.gz" and release key in a text file and name as "release-key" (without the extension .txt). Login via root and then upload the release key first and then the software file under /tmp folder. Wait on root prompt. If the downgrade work you will see notification on root CLI.

However as i said, i am not 100% sure if its going to work or not. Give it a try and update me as well :).

Regards,

Alok

Thanks a lot !

This info is very useful. I will try to do it.
About the Cisco VCS appliance
The Cisco VCS appliance described in this document is a CE1000, which is based on a UCS C220 M3L.
The appliance supports Cisco VCS version X8.1.1 or later.

BR

Yes, isn't your question is regarding CE1000? Or a difference CE flavour? Because the new CE for e.g. 1200 version's are configured to work only as Expressway series and not VCS. Which is why you can't downgrade it beyond x8.x version as the Expressway capability didn't used to exists at x7.x version.

Regards,

Alok

Yes, this part is about CE1000, I don't notice CE1000 supports Cisco VCS version X8.1.1 or later.So i spent a lot time to do downgrade. thanks for your prompt again.

BR

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Important that CE1000 Appliance support X8.1.1 and onward.

This mean you CAN'T downgrade CE1000 Appliance to X7.x software version.

Yes,you are right.
i got it,thanks for your reply
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: