cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to implement or configure Cisco jabber for mobile ?

Euan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

In our company, we have a cluster CUCM 11.5 and a stand alone IM&P server.

I would like to know if one you guys have already implement or install cisco jabber for mobile phone?

Do I have to build a new IM&P server? How it works for mobile?

Do I need to install more licenses for mobile phone? 

Sorry for these questions cause I ignore where to start!

Regards

3 Replies 3

Jabber over WIFI(inside your organisation or VPN) can be achieved with your current setup of CUCM and IM server. But if you need MRA feature(vpn less Jabber) you need expressway E and C server.But this will be beyond the scope of this community.

I suggest to  involve a partner who is good in Voice.

Reading the configurations guides and Cisco live presentations will be a good start if you want to learn how jabber works in both case.

Regarding the License, you need to check the PLM and verify the current License Usage. If you have sufficient license to cover the new devices there is no need of  licenses. 

Response Signature

Ammar Saood
Spotlight
Spotlight

I would like to know if one you guys have already implement or install cisco jabber for mobile phone?

Yes, most of us have implemented it. It's a usual requirement from customers to have soft clients as well as hard IP phones.

Do I have to build a new IM&P server? How it works for mobile?

Technically No, but if you need high availability to support failover situation, then Yes.

Do I need to install more licenses for mobile phone? 

Yes, each device you add in CUCM consumes license. Since you are using 11.5 PLM, If a user has 3 devices such as Jabber desktop, jabber mobile android, jabber iPhone. It requires 3 UCL licenses or 1x UWL STD license.

No need to feel sorry. We are here to answer your Questions

Please rate & click "accept as solution" if this answered your Question. 

alexhalex
Level 1
Level 1

Configuring Cisco Jabber for mobile devices involves several steps, including setting up the necessary infrastructure, configuring the servers, and managing licenses. Here's a general guide to help you get started:

1. Review System Requirements: Ensure that your CUCM (Cisco Unified Communications Manager) and IM&P (Instant Messaging and Presence) server versions are compatible with Cisco Jabber for mobile. Check the Cisco documentation for compatibility details.

2. Install and Configure IM&P Server: Since you already have a standalone IM&P server, ensure it's properly configured and integrated with your CUCM cluster. If you need to deploy a new IM&P server, follow the installation and configuration guides provided by Cisco.

3. Enable Mobile Access: Configure the IM&P server to allow access from mobile devices. This typically involves enabling Mobile and Remote Access (MRA) services, which allow Jabber clients to connect from outside the corporate network. Refer to the Cisco documentation for detailed instructions on setting up MRA.

4. Provision User Accounts: Ensure that user accounts are provisioned on both CUCM and IM&P servers for the employees who will be using Cisco Jabber on their mobile devices. These accounts should have the necessary permissions and licenses assigned to them.

5. Install Cisco Jabber: Instruct users to download and install the Cisco Jabber app from the relevant app store (e.g., Apple App Store for iOS devices, Google Play Store for Android devices). They will need to enter their credentials (username, password, server details) during the initial setup.

6. Configure Jabber Settings: Users may need to configure Jabber settings such as server address, username, password, and other preferences. Provide them with the necessary information or guide them through the setup process.

7. Verify Connectivity: Once Jabber is installed and configured on the mobile devices, ensure that users can successfully connect to the CUCM and IM&P servers. Test features such as messaging, presence status, voice calls, and video calls to ensure everything is functioning correctly.

8. License Management: Check your existing licensing to see if additional licenses are required for mobile access. Cisco typically offers different licensing options for Jabber, including user-based and device-based licenses. Purchase and assign additional licenses if necessary.

9. Training and Support: Provide training and support to users to help them familiarize themselves with the Cisco Jabber app and its features. Address any questions or issues they may encounter during the setup or usage process.

By following these steps, you should be able to implement Cisco Jabber for mobile devices in your organization effectively. However, it's essential to refer to the official Cisco documentation and consult with your IT team or Cisco support for specific guidance tailored to your environment.