Views
Helpful
Replies

How to make the TURN relay works?

rubyson1984
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

I have a question about the VCSE TURN relay function.

I have 2 SX20s in different home workers that they are behind the NAT, and registered to VCSE which used the public ip and enabled the TURN relay service.

The 2 SX20s can call each other by using SIP Call, and i can find out that they used traversal call in VCSE,but never see the TURN relay status,there is none.

With my understanding , they must use the TURN relay to call each other when they behind the NAT,it's that ture?

Do i miss some configuration about that? How can i to make the TURN relay works?

Thanks .

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi friend,

As far as I understand, TC endpoints are able to make calls behind a firewall because they are traversall clients, they have support to H460 and Assent protocols. These protocolS allow endpoints to make and receive calls even behind a firewall.

If you read SX20's technical especifications, you won't find anything saying it supports TURN feature.

Jabber for Telepresence can be configured to use TURN, but TC endpoints don't.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi friend,

As far as I understand, TC endpoints are able to make calls behind a firewall because they are traversall clients, they have support to H460 and Assent protocols. These protocolS allow endpoints to make and receive calls even behind a firewall.

If you read SX20's technical especifications, you won't find anything saying it supports TURN feature.

Jabber for Telepresence can be configured to use TURN, but TC endpoints don't.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

I was just reading a documentation about the new updates on Cisco Telepresence Portfolio, and it says that TC endpoints will support SIP ACE feature on TC6.2 release. So there is no support for this kind of feature yet.

If you are a partner, this is the doc:

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-34812

Regards

Paulo Souza

Thanks Paulo, i will check this

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

You need to provision ICE and TURN by deploying the correct provisioning templates for this to work, however, this type of provisioning is currently only supported by JabberVideo (aka Movi), E20 and EX-series (not sure about the MX series).

VCS-E assists H.323 end-points supporting h.460.18/19 and/or Assent to do the firewall traversal at the far end, as Paulo said.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

ok, thanks

You are welcome!

Paulo Souza

Some remarks here.

Jens:

Ice / Turn is currently only supported (if I look in the xml templates) by Movi/JabberVideo/JaberTablet.

So no EX, MX, SX, E, C support by today.

Paulo:

I do not like to post things which are not there jet, especially as things can still change or

are only possible in specific kind of deployments.

Jason:

So the proper answer to Jasons question: by today its not possible to utilize turn on your SX20

If you want to optimize media flow for these systems on sip its possible to place them on public ip

addresses, then media will flow directly in between them using sip, even if they are registered to a VCS-E.

Or if you have many endpoints/clients with the same internal network, get an VCS-C for this network,

that will keep local traffic locally. Or talk to your Cisco partner what might be possible in the future and wait :-)

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Comes down to semantics, Martin, when I said:

"by deploying the correct provisioning templates for this to work, however,  this type of provisioning is currently only supported by JabberVideo  (aka Movi), E20 and EX-series" - I was referring to provisioning in general, not ICE/TURN in particular.

"this type of provisioning" being the optimum words in this sentence.

/jens

Paulo:

I do not like to post things which are not there jet, especially as things can still change or

are only possible in specific kind of deployments.

Hi Martin, I understand what you mean. But I think the point of the topic is this, Jason was not understanding correct how SX20 communicates behind a firewall, he thought was necessary to use TURN. Now Jason knows that TURN is not supported by SX20 and it is not necessary for basic firewall traversal. When I said that ICE will be supported in the future, it was just as reference to prove it is not supported today. I am not suggesting Jason to implement ICE, because his enviroment is working now, there is no reason to suggest ICE. I know about ICE's restrictions very well, but that is not the point here.

Regards

Paulo Souza

An other short site note, as Jason talked about SIP but answers mentioned

h460/assent. These two are h323 related and do not have anything to do with a SIP call.

Jason thought is right that for a sip call behind firewalls you still need some kind of media relay.

This could be a TURN relay, but like said thats not supported on his endpoints.

But thats exactly why a VCS-E has to be used, as this one decides that it will stick in

the media path by using a traversal call which binds the media for both call

legs to the VCS-E which allows communications through firewalls. :-)

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Yeah, I missed the SIP part, good pick up Martin.

/jens

I missed the SIP part too, really good pick up Martin!

Paulo Souza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: