Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN calls routing

maciej_wilk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

What is the best way to configure proper call routing to the ISDN based on the following conditions:

- two ISDN gateways deployed, each in different location,

- both gateways register to VCS with the same prefixes,

- each gateway is in its own subzone,

- each group of endpoints assigned to subzones based on their location.

The goal is to have a defined routing so that calls from endpoints in a specific location (subzone) are routed through the correct gateway.

Should this be done by deleting specific links, by call policy or some other method?

And what about redundancy in such a deployment (if one of the gateway fails)?

Kind regards

Maciek

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

First of all separate user experience with what is done on the technical level.

Registering a ISDN GW with a different prefix (or no prefix at all) does not mean that

the user can not reach it or that the user can dial a specific prefix.

Its information technology so there is not just one way to go, there are often multiple ways which lead to the same goal.

In addition it depends on your deployment, the capabilities of your team, the requirements, ....

With X7.2 you could define a search rule based on a named (sub) zone and match your isdn-dial out prefix to the isdn gw1 and put the other users in an other zone, similar search rule with the same prefix the user dials but this time

matched to the other isdngw.

For the ISDN gw you could either map it via different registration prefixes or what I would prefer, put them

each in their own zones.

If you have these two search rules and add two additional ones with a lower priority it might

work for a failover as well, but I would use a CPL or a policy server for such a scenario which

woudl allow you to better map on the error case.

The VCS is great because it is quite simple and logical but still has the CPL/Policies to extend a lot.

Anyhow it is not the best out of the box call control, so if you need that, look into CUCM.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

rasimyigit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
Why you want to use same prefix's on both GW's?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

rasimyigit
Level 1
Level 1

You don't need a seperate subzone for each GW. The prefix is responsible for routing , but you could do that. It is depend of your goal

Hi,

I need to use the same prefix for both GW's so that the user experience stays the same.

The users are used to dialing specific prefix regardless of the location.

In the previous deployment, the endpoints were registered to their respective ISDN GW.

Now every endpoint is registered to the VCS and so are the GW's.

Is it doable? I'm trying to think of a way to do it, it's something very simple using CUCM, but how to configure it on VCS?

Kind regards

Maciek

rasimyigit
Level 1
Level 1

If you use the same prefix you got a routing problem. If you use the same prefix, which one is the active or backup?
On the Mcu you could do that. If I wrong correct me!

Yes, I know I have a problem

But this should be doable as this is something very common in telephony environments using CUCM.

Both gateways should be active but used by different groups of endpoints.

And if one fails, the other should take care of the calls.

Kind regards

Maciek

First of all separate user experience with what is done on the technical level.

Registering a ISDN GW with a different prefix (or no prefix at all) does not mean that

the user can not reach it or that the user can dial a specific prefix.

Its information technology so there is not just one way to go, there are often multiple ways which lead to the same goal.

In addition it depends on your deployment, the capabilities of your team, the requirements, ....

With X7.2 you could define a search rule based on a named (sub) zone and match your isdn-dial out prefix to the isdn gw1 and put the other users in an other zone, similar search rule with the same prefix the user dials but this time

matched to the other isdngw.

For the ISDN gw you could either map it via different registration prefixes or what I would prefer, put them

each in their own zones.

If you have these two search rules and add two additional ones with a lower priority it might

work for a failover as well, but I would use a CPL or a policy server for such a scenario which

woudl allow you to better map on the error case.

The VCS is great because it is quite simple and logical but still has the CPL/Policies to extend a lot.

Anyhow it is not the best out of the box call control, so if you need that, look into CUCM.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Thanks Martin. This is what I was missing - the ability to route a call based on the source of the request.

I checked the possibility in X6.1, that's why I couldn't see a proper solution for the problem

ahmashar
Level 4
Level 4

you need to do it in two steps. please check your email for details.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: