Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Guest - Required licenses

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi folks,

We are about to deploy a new project which will include the new Cisco Jabber Guest solution. We are following the documentation provided my Cisco on this link, however, there is something about the licenses requirements for Jabber Guest that is not very clear for us.

According to the doc Cisco Jabber Guest Server 10.5 Installation and Configuration Guide, we need RMS (Rich Media Session) licenses on Expressway servers in order to allow the Jabber guest client to establish the call. And we can buy Expressway's licenses using the global partnumber CUWL-STD-K9.

When we attempt to buy the license for Expressway series in CCW using the partnumber CUWL-STD-K9, within this global item we have the partnumber JABBER-GUEST (Description Jabber Guest Session). So my question is, what is that partnumber JABBER-GUEST used for? Can it be used in replace for the RMS license?

Thanks in advance,

Paulo Souza

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just to let you guys know, I asked assistance from PDI team and they have confirmed that that license JABBER-GUEST (witch is available within the bundle CUWL-STD-K9) does not replace the RMS license for Jabber Guest solution. Therefore, if you want to use Jabber guest solution, you will basically need:

1.  A Jabber Guest Server (Virtual Machine with 2 vcpus, can run off BE6K)

2.  A dedicated Expressway-C/Expressway-E pair.

3. Two RMS licenses (one in each Expressway) per simultaneous Jabber Guest call.

That is it. Thanks for your time Patrick.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would assume you could order RMS licenses under the Expressway Series, since that is where the licenses will be installed?  Just a thought.

Patrick, thanks for your repply.

Yeah, we could order RMS license, however, the license JABBER-GUEST is also available within the partnumber CUWL-STD-K9 and it is a $0,00 cost item. So maybe I could use the JABBER-GUEST license in instead of using the RMS license, the only problem is that I dont know what that JABBER-GUEST license is used for. The Jabber Guest documentation does not state anything about that license. That is my doubt.

Paulo Souza

Hi,

Can any one update on this post. if we need to order 2 RMS licenses for each Jabber guest call.

And if CUWL PRO cover this license for free ?

And will we receive the Jabber gest software for free also ?

Thanks

Haitham

Douglas Baggett
Level 1
Level 1

Excellent question. I was just about to post a question about that as well. We have classic expressway and control and was wondering about rich media licenses.

RMS licenses are used with the Expressway series, and is used specifically with CUCM for firewall traversal, mobile and remote access for Jabber as well as TelePresence endpoints.  It is the same platform and software as the VCS series, but with less features (because it passes everything to CUCM).

VCS uses non-traversal and traversal call licenses, where Expressway uses a RMS licenses.  Here is a presentation that overviews the two different product lines and has a comparison between the two.

20140403_cisco_connect_see_expressway

So basically I don't need RML if I already own VCS Expressway and Control. My traversal/non-traversal licenses will cover the calls. (I've got that right?)

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just to let you guys know, I asked assistance from PDI team and they have confirmed that that license JABBER-GUEST (witch is available within the bundle CUWL-STD-K9) does not replace the RMS license for Jabber Guest solution. Therefore, if you want to use Jabber guest solution, you will basically need:

1.  A Jabber Guest Server (Virtual Machine with 2 vcpus, can run off BE6K)

2.  A dedicated Expressway-C/Expressway-E pair.

3. Two RMS licenses (one in each Expressway) per simultaneous Jabber Guest call.

That is it. Thanks for your time Patrick.

Regards

Paulo Souza

You do not necessarily need a dedicated Expressway C-E pair.

It would also work with VCS and it could be shared with B2B calls on the Expressway.

So it depends on the setup and how much and where you want to share something.

What will not work by today is sharing MRA and JG on the same VCS or Expressway.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Yeah, that is correct. The documentation states clearly that Jabber Guest and MRA cannot run together on the same box. Because MRA requires TURN service to be disable whereas Jabber Guest demands TURN service to be enable in order provide proper Firewall/NAT traversal functionality.

Paulo Souza

From how I understood it its more the internal handling, both services seem to

use the same local port which makes it not possible to run both on the same system for now.

The intention of MRA is anyhow to support ICE which also will require turn then.

Lets just see what the future will bring.

The important thing to take with you is for now b2b&jg works fine with VCS or Expressway,

MRA makes sense licensing wise (as its for free anyhow) to be on a separated box.

The most interesting point is that when you place a Purchase Order using the global partnumber CUWL-STD-K9, you can buy multiple licenses of Expressway C/E with no additional cost, so you can easily have differente Expressway C/E bundle for MRA and for Jabber Guest. The only additional cost are the RMS licenses that are required for Jabber Guest's sessions.

Paulo Souza

I would guess a VCS makes only sense if you already have it in place.

If you want to establish a cluster you always need 4 expressways 2xC+2xE,

thats at least quite an amount of hardware resources you need for the

virtual sessions, ...

B2B calls or GW stuff would require RMS licenses as well, ..

VCS would also still make sense if you have legacy endpoints, especially H323 endpoints.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: