Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber video oddity

ken.tucker
Level 1
Level 1

All,

We've got a few new Win 7 Lenovo laptops that appear to have an issue with Jabber video. Versions 4.4, 4.5, and 4.6 all exhibit the same behavior - after making a call (to another codec, Jabber client, or 3rd party system), sending video freezes / stops. It still receives video fine and audio continues working both ways. Before a call, you can see video working fine.

The only fix seems to be to reduce outbound bandwidth to ~700k (we have it set to 1.15Mb/s by default).

This only occurs on a few newer Lenovos - other models and brands don't exhibit this behavior. Systems are both Windows 7 with all patches/service packs and drivers up to date.

Any thoughts on why this would happen or ways to troubleshoot? I would like to get the bandwidth back up so we're transmitting HD.

Thanks!

Ken

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The basic question is how good the video quality of the small integrated camera is anyhow.

If you test I would also recomend to check that you use a cabled network, a power supply

and check that your network connection is fine and that the powersaving mode is disabled.

Often the smaller/modern the laptop the more aggressive are the power saving mechanisms

Also check that proper drivers are available by the vendor as well as that they are installed.

A test with the Cisco Precision HD USB cam might be also handy.

If you see that it works fine with the given parameters you could try to see which parameters

cause the issue.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

ahmashar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi ken,

one way to troubleshoot is to look at taskmanager of windows while you have the BW at 1.5 Mb and while you have it on 700Kb. see whether CPU saturates or not? (monitor the precentage of CPU is used for Jabber client for both cases) I am not sure what type of laptop and what type of video card it has on it. the problem sounds like the limitation from hardware since you said the software/drivers are up to date.

Regards, Ahmad

Ahmad - CPU is actually a little lower using the built in camera vs. a USB camera (that works). Must be a driver issue!

mahkrish
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Ken, Can you share the Lenovo laptop model number that is exhibiting this problem. I can try doing a Lab recreate and share inputs.

BR, Mahesh Adithiyha

The two we've experienced the problem with are:

Lenovo Twist S230u, part # 33472GU

Lenovo X1, part # 3444F9U

I think they have the both camera/driver.

I don't yet have the results of CPU usage, will get that Monday.

Thanks again!

Ken

The basic question is how good the video quality of the small integrated camera is anyhow.

If you test I would also recomend to check that you use a cabled network, a power supply

and check that your network connection is fine and that the powersaving mode is disabled.

Often the smaller/modern the laptop the more aggressive are the power saving mechanisms

Also check that proper drivers are available by the vendor as well as that they are installed.

A test with the Cisco Precision HD USB cam might be also handy.

If you see that it works fine with the given parameters you could try to see which parameters

cause the issue.

Power saving seems to make no difference, but using an HD USB camera works at full bandwidth. Sounds like some sort of driver issue. We have the latest driver though.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. We'll just recommend not using these laptops for now. They're exceptions anyway.

Ken

Hi Ken!

Thank you for your feedback!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: