Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Video: Push SIP Outbound config to users

Juergen Hornung
Level 1
Level 1

And the next question:

Is there a guide that describes howto push SIP Outbound configuration to users?

We deployed subsequently a VCS cluster and a lot of our users have only one VCS configured.

Thanks

Juergen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gubadman
Level 3
Level 3

Do you use TMS-PE to provision them?

You should be able to set the following in the Movi template:

Multiple Server Connections = On

SIP Server Address = SRV record name for cluster

And then have the SRV record point to the two (or more) hosts in your cluster.

Thanks,

Guy

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Chris Swinney
Level 5
Level 5

You need pass parameters to the installer. To do this, I have created a BAT file (for Windows) that passes the correct parameters to the MSI/EXE installer. The Jabber admin guide details how to do this but for reference, I have used something like:

To use with the EXE (in this case 4.6)

JabberVideoSetup4.6.exe /v"/qn DOMAIN=mydom.ac.uk EXTERNALVCS=vcs-e-cluster.mydom.ac.uk INTERNALVCS=vcs-c-cluster.mydom.ac.uk HIDEADVANCEDLOGIN=1"

To use with the with the MSI

JabberVideo.msi /qn DOMAIN=mydom.ac.uk EXTERNALVCS=vcs-e-cluster.mydom.ac.uk INTERNALVCS=vcs-c-cluster.mydom.ac.uk HIDEADVANCEDLOGIN=1

So the user downloads two files and runs the BAT. It might be possible to create a self extracting zip that contains both the Jabber installer and BAT for single installer, but I never looked into this. The other possibility might be to capture an installation to a new EXE/MSI using something like "MSI Wrapper" or "WiX Toolset - I started looking into this but the BAT files work for me.

I think you can do something similar for the MAC.

However, the only we to mass deploy would be via a third party application, such as via MS tool or even AD.

The is a big caveat however - not sure if this is fixed in version 4.7 or not. If you set up the install such as above, then later you add a option to the TMSPE provisioning template to notify users of a new version of Jabber, when they download and install, all of the setting are wiped, so the user ends up to a Jabber client they can't use - expect phone calls!!! The only way I can see around this is to create a new EXE/MSI with the parameters already embedded

I "think" that if you use the parameters above rather than the one outlined in the admin guide (i.e. DOMAIN instead of FORCEDDOMAIN, INTERNALVCS instead of FORCEDINTERNALVCS, etc) this might not happen, but it was a long time ago since I checked - and as this is undocumented, expect that it might change at any point.

Your solution sounds not as easy as it should be

On the other hand, I don't want to provide a special installer to our user, a lot of them have already a provisioned Jabber isnstallation, but with "only one VCS".

So my thought is, it must be a solution be given, that I can push a second VCS to them via Jabber provisioning options?

Thanks

Juergen

gubadman
Level 3
Level 3

Do you use TMS-PE to provision them?

You should be able to set the following in the Movi template:

Multiple Server Connections = On

SIP Server Address = SRV record name for cluster

And then have the SRV record point to the two (or more) hosts in your cluster.

Thanks,

Guy

Thanks Guy,

thats it!

I didn't realize that I can use SRV records for SIP servers with Jabber client.

Juergen

True, I only gave you half the story and misread you initial question.

Don't forget though, that this is actually a two step process. First you need to tell the client where to get the provisioning info - this is the Internal and External VCS field on the client. The only way to set this is to either do it manually or by deploying the client using the methods outlined above.

Once the client is actually pointing to the correct internal and external provisioning server (probably the same VCS used for SIP registration, but not necessarily), the actual SIP registration server info is then applied via the TMSPE template as Guy outlines above.

Something we found when using a cluster on one group and not the other (i.e. we use a cluster for the VCS-E but not the VCS-C) is that you need to hardcode "Multiple Server Connections = Off" for the server that is NOT part of a cluster - if you leave the option unprovisioined you will run into problems.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: