cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Video SIP Domain Address

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have a question on how Jabber Video behaves.  When only the SIP Domain is entered, what does Jabber Video do to find either the Internal or External server address?  I presume it is looking at DNS SRV records, are there any details on this behavior?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Based on posts over in the Jabber Clients part of the forums, the client does use the DNS SRV records.  Some of the behaviour is detailed in this document.

Wayne
--

Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

I can confirm the behavior for you as I just ran a wireshark trace on my Jabber Video client (version 4.7) and I also had a trace from the Movi days. Anyway, if you specify a SIP domain and don't specify internal/external server the client will start by sending a DNS SRV query for _sips._tcp.. If you have a valid SRV record, you will receive a response for host record. Your client will then query for the host (A) record.

If, for whatever reason, the client can't make it happen using the TLS option it will then send a DNS query for _sip._tcp.. Then the host record is returned and the client queries for the A record.

If that doesn't work, you are done.

HTH

-Bill
(b) http://ucguerrilla.com
(t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Anyone have an idea on how Jabber Video behaves when only the SIP Domain is provided, without either the internal/external server address?

Based on posts over in the Jabber Clients part of the forums, the client does use the DNS SRV records.  Some of the behaviour is detailed in this document.

Wayne
--

Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Thanks Wayne, that was particular to the iPad.  I guess I wasn't clear in my original post, this is in reference to Jabber Video, aka Movi version.  I presume it's using SRV records or A records if no SRV are found, just curious if it's documented somewhere like the Jabber Video (Movi) admin guides cover the subscribe and registration steps when someone specifies the internal/external addresses, but it doesn't mention if someone just enters the SIP Domain.

I can confirm the behavior for you as I just ran a wireshark trace on my Jabber Video client (version 4.7) and I also had a trace from the Movi days. Anyway, if you specify a SIP domain and don't specify internal/external server the client will start by sending a DNS SRV query for _sips._tcp.. If you have a valid SRV record, you will receive a response for host record. Your client will then query for the host (A) record.

If, for whatever reason, the client can't make it happen using the TLS option it will then send a DNS query for _sip._tcp.. Then the host record is returned and the client queries for the A record.

If that doesn't work, you are done.

HTH

-Bill
(b) http://ucguerrilla.com
(t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Thanks Bill, just as I thought, but wasn't sure.

Hi Patrick,

The document I linked may have been for the iPad client, but the same behaviour applies to the Cisco Jabber Video for TelePresence (previously Movi) client... they all use the DNS SRV records, and the records mentioned in that document still apply.

Edit: As confirmed by William's post above.

Wayne

--

Please remember to rate responses and to mark your quesiton as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: