cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lync hosted meeting

Mike Assel
Level 4
Level 4

Hello.  Is it possible for a VCS registered endpoint to join a Lync hosted meeting with multiple video participants?  I have used the Lync deployment guide to successfuly integrate my Lync and VCS networks, but I can't get this feature to work.  Just wondering if it is even supported.  Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I cant tell anything on the Polycom systems, but its two parts, its the audio and video codecs which are used.

In these multipoint or live meeting calls it seems to be RTAudio and RTVideo.

These are supported for example with the Advanced Media Gateway as well.

But besides the point to point calls (which work fine with the VCS itself, especially with the VCS X7 B2BUA)

I cant say if there is any vendor besides Microsoft supporting the internal Lync multiparty way.

I think its using some proprietary XML SIP extension.

Anyhow you could have a Cisco / Codian MCU connected to the VCS and host a multiparty meeting

with Cisco, Lync and 3rd party participants there. This would also give you continuous presence

and not only switching like on Lync.

Further let me quote from:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Microsoft_OCS_2007_R2_and_Lync_2010_Deployment_Guide_X7-0.pdf

"Joining a MOC/Lync conference (AV MCU)

Using a MOC/Lync client to invite a third party to join the call does not work if the third endpoint is an endpoint registered to the Cisco VCS Control, or if the endpoint registered to the Cisco VCS Control is already in the call and another MOC/Lync client is introduced into the call.

This is because when the MOC/Lync client invites a third party to join a call, the MOC/Lync client tries to create a conference using Microsoft proprietary messaging (xml in SIP messages), and this is not supported by standards-based video endpoints.

Neither Cisco VCS Control nor standards-based video endpoints support the Microsoft proprietary signaling.

Note, however use of Multiwa"y on endpoints can join MOC/Lync clients into an ad hoc conference (see Cisco VCS Multiway deployment guide)."

To answer your question, not on the hosted Lync conference, but you could use a Cisco MCU.

Martin

please vote the replies and set your message to answered if it is.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

I heard that it was.  I'm not sure how to do it.

That's funny, I'm thinking that it's not supported   From what I've read the endpoint has to support RTV (some Microsoft protocol).  Even a Polycom endpoint that is able to register directly to Lync needs to have an option key installed that enables RTV in order to join a Lync conference.

I cant tell anything on the Polycom systems, but its two parts, its the audio and video codecs which are used.

In these multipoint or live meeting calls it seems to be RTAudio and RTVideo.

These are supported for example with the Advanced Media Gateway as well.

But besides the point to point calls (which work fine with the VCS itself, especially with the VCS X7 B2BUA)

I cant say if there is any vendor besides Microsoft supporting the internal Lync multiparty way.

I think its using some proprietary XML SIP extension.

Anyhow you could have a Cisco / Codian MCU connected to the VCS and host a multiparty meeting

with Cisco, Lync and 3rd party participants there. This would also give you continuous presence

and not only switching like on Lync.

Further let me quote from:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Microsoft_OCS_2007_R2_and_Lync_2010_Deployment_Guide_X7-0.pdf

"Joining a MOC/Lync conference (AV MCU)

Using a MOC/Lync client to invite a third party to join the call does not work if the third endpoint is an endpoint registered to the Cisco VCS Control, or if the endpoint registered to the Cisco VCS Control is already in the call and another MOC/Lync client is introduced into the call.

This is because when the MOC/Lync client invites a third party to join a call, the MOC/Lync client tries to create a conference using Microsoft proprietary messaging (xml in SIP messages), and this is not supported by standards-based video endpoints.

Neither Cisco VCS Control nor standards-based video endpoints support the Microsoft proprietary signaling.

Note, however use of Multiwa"y on endpoints can join MOC/Lync clients into an ad hoc conference (see Cisco VCS Multiway deployment guide)."

To answer your question, not on the hosted Lync conference, but you could use a Cisco MCU.

Martin

please vote the replies and set your message to answered if it is.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify