cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MCU-4210/5320 Dial String to WebEx

mark hackett
Level 1
Level 1

Have WebEx meeting center hosted in cloud.

CMR enabled.

Would like to connect MCU to WebEx conferences.

Endpoints can join and transmit DTMF to WebEx no problem.

WebEx doesn't seem to hear DTMF from MCU, therefore, MCU can't join conference.

I was dialing the xxxxxxxxx@myorg.webex.com from MCU and then trying to input conference ID/PIN via the send DTMF option in the MCU for the webex conference.

I've also tried making the webex meeting a preconfigured endpoint in the MCU with a specified DTMF sequence in the endpoint config.

All calls attempted were via H.323

My endpoints (with can dial and enter DTMF to Webex just fine) and MCUs are beyond any firewall and not using a VCS, CUCM.etc

Any help or replies are much appreciated.

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

PJMack
Level 7
Level 7

the conference ID should be in your URI (9digitID@company.webex.com), you shouldn't need to enter it at all. The only DTMF code would be if the meeting wasn't started and you needed to enter the host key. I just verified this. You could also (depending on your Webex version) just connect with a PC client and use the video dialback feature to dial the URI of your conference, that would also take DTMF out of the equation. 

That said - I am curious about why you're trying to cascade your on premise bridge with the Webex bridge, why not just use the Webex CMR alone? I would not expect this to perform very well, you'll have increased latency for the people that are on the Webex audio vs the MCU since that would be two "hops"

"The only DTMF code would be if the meeting wasn't started and you needed to enter the host key"

--This is exactly the behavior I'd like. The MCU dials the WebEx meeting as Host, automating the start of the meeting. The MCU then dials our endpoint(s) configured for the conference. The remote participants join the Webex meeting.

Our usual model (for better or worse) is to run every call on the MCU regardless if it's a Multipoint call -we do this to leverage all the robust conference management features of the MCU (scheduling, endpoint control, layout control, AV mute..etc,etc)

Along comes WebEx- Yes for people outside of our org or for folks who can't access an endpoint, it's great, perfect.

We pull a AV output from our endpoints to a IP encoder and send to our Headend to a decoder -so we can sit and monitor the call remotely.

So having the MCU dial everyone makes things very automated and provides great conference control.

I realize the above may grind against some best/normal practices, but since we're a small staff, automation of the conference start is our goal. We're a EDU and no one starts rooms, dials calls, does any lifting -it's walk in and start teaching the class.

Dialing into a CMR enabled WebEx MC meeting via a conference bridge is unsupported, hence why DTMF will not work, you might also run into other issues such as content sharing via BFCP for example not working as well.  The only solution that supports on-premise conference bridge such as MCU or TelePresence Server with WebEx Meeting Center is CMR Hybrid.

Since you are monitoring the call anyway, I would connect to the conference via Webex as the host and use the video dial back feature to dial your MCU conference URI. If your Webex site is set not to require a "press 1 to connect" you should be connected without requiring any DTMF tones. As Patrick said, however, this is not a supported use case scenario. I'm guessing it will work but it might be quirky at the very least, and it's definitely not tested/supported by Cisco if you have problems. Do you use TMS? You could use one button to push (aka OBTP) and have the endpoints connect to the conference with just a touch on the panel when the users walk in. Note this would be an HD bridge whereas your 4210 is SD, so the quality will be much higher - I recommend you work towards this as your long term solution. 

johanbonvalet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Same issue here in 2023.. Did you succeed ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: