Views
Helpful
Replies

MCU Bandwidth

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

Hello,

I have two C40s registered to Callmanager, MCU 4505 registered to VCS, VCS connected to CallManager over a SIP trunk. I use TMS for scheduling. WHenever I schedule a meeting and connect to the meeting from the C40s, the transmit for both endpoints is negotiated at 768kbps. As far as I can see, I am not limiting it anywhere. If i call from a Movi endpoint registered on VCS to the C40s, I can see it connects at approx 2Mbps also when i call directly between the C40s in CallManager, I also get 2Mbps. Video CAC is set to unlimited on Callmanager and no pipes are setup on VCS but when I call the MCU, the call negotiates at 768Kbps, any ideas what to look for?

Thanks in advance!

Please rate useful posts.
10 Replies 10

angeleye20
Level 1
Level 1

Look at the default call settings on the c40 endpoints themselves.  This may be limiting it.  It's under the conference1 setting in the web gui.

Chris

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi George

What is the default bandwidth set to be used when scheduling from TMS? Check it in admin tools --> configuration --> conference settings. Is the bw set to use 768 by default here? It´s only happening when scheduling from TMS right?

Also its worth checking the endpoint it self (C40) what the default bw its set to use.

/Magnus

Hi Magnus/Chris,

The default C40 settings are set at 4096Kbps so is TMS.

Magnus,

Yes it happens for scheduled calls. I do not use the Outlook form, just add the endpoints in the attendee list.

Thanks

are you running only sip protocol?  I assume you are only running sip with callmanager registration.

The endpoints may be trying to connect to the conference via H323 protocol and getting it's settings there.  Any interworking going on?

Disable the h323 protocol on the the endpoints, or maybe try to change the default call protocol to sip instead of h323.

One question, why register to callmanager when you have a vcs?  H323 is a more robust protocol right now and will give you more features currently.  I think, anyone else chime in here about that.

Just a few things to look at.

Chris

I did disable H323 as a test and its does the same thing; negotiates down to 768Kbps.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that there is a hidden setting somewhere in the callmanager you might be missing.  Since I have almost no experience with CUCM, I can't really help you out there.  Of course I could be full of it.  Good Luck

Chris

Thanks for trying Chris.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you check “Max Video Call Bit Rate” setting in the Region on CUCM?

By default this will be 384, multiplied by 2 accounting for both directions.

Patrick Pettit
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

On top of what Tomo is asking you to check here, if placing a call from  C40 on CUCM and IWF is picking this up, it may be that since the empty  invite from CUCM has no BW specified, VCS sets the BW in Call Setup  (h323) towards MCU by using the default Call Bandwidth on the VCS.  This looks like it happens when IWF Function is picking this up and my assumption that the call is landing on the MCU as H323. 

Verify VCS Configuration>Bandwidth>Configuration for us and see if this is set to 768k?  Change setting to 2MEG and remake the call? Does this behavior change?

Let us know?

Thanks in advance.

VR

Patrick

The VCS normalization script in CUCM was doing it, now off to figuring out what caused, thanks for your help guys.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: