cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MCU registration to TMS fails with "no ip bandwidth..."

mhanderson
Level 1
Level 1

We are attempting to install a Telepresence VTC system. We are attempting to register the MCU (5320) (4.5) to TMS (14.6). We are using a virtual VCS as the Gatekeeper. When we attempt to Add the MCU from TMS we get a warning "No bandwidth defined on the system - System has neither IP bandwidth nor ISDN bandwidth".. TMS shows zeros (0) for Bandwidth and Ports. We have defined the MCU's bandwidth on the MCU H.323 settings. There must be some small thing that we have not correctly configured. We have double checked SNMP settings, H.323 settings, etc. to no avail.

Has anyone have this problem before?

TIA,

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Zones are used in routing when creating conference schedules.  You can assign zones either after you add endpoints or infrastructure into TMS, or while you're in progress of adding them.  You can read more about what zones are in the TMS Admin Guide, starting on pg 46.

Regarding your MCU, if you're lacking media ports, than that is probably the root cause of the issue.  Cisco wouldn't have added them, you'd do that one you receive the product similar to how you added the activation and encryption keys.  If you go to the Cisco Licensing Portal, navigate to Get Other Licenses > TelePresence Licenses to Resend, and enter the serial number of the MCU.  It will return all the option keys tied to that MCU, if the media ports were purchased, they should appear on the screen.  You're looking for something that mentioned "L-5300-4PL".

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Mark -

When you have the MCU open in TMS, do you have an IP Zone configured under General?  Are you capable of taking some screenshots of the MCU in TMS?

Hi Pat,

We didn't create any IP Zone. The reason we didn't create an IP Zone is because we don't have any ISDN connections and it looks like the Zone creation depended on having the opportunity to choose between ISDN and IP.

Screen shots are going to be problematic since we are working on a US DoD site but maybe we can transfer some through email. The warning that we get is specifically  "No bandwidth defined on the system - System has neither IP bandwidth nor ISDN bandwidth".  This is from TMS.

Do you think that it might be a license issue or just not knowing what buttons to push?

TIA - Mark

No worries on the screenshots.

If I'm understanding what you're saying about the IP and ISDN zones in TMS (Administrative Tools > Locations), is that one if not both are blank?  If one or both are not created, can you try to create them?  Just create one of each with a name and that should be fine.  Then go into the MCU and set it there.

Pat and Wayne,

The MCU is registered in both the VCS and TMS. We had previously created Zones for ISDN and IP but being noobs we really didn't know what they were for. Since this installation is IP only we did not think that Zones were necessary.

So... how do we go about putting the devices in the IP Zone. I assume that we do that after the MCU (and subsequent endpoints) are registered to the TMS?

Also, I am a little concerned that Cisco did not install any Ports on the MCU. We had ordered enough Ports to have 16 SD concurrent sessions, but I don't know how to verify the amount of Ports are installed on the MCU. The only items that we installed on the MCU was the Activation and Encryption "keys".

Thanks for your concern in this matter.

Mark

Zones are used in routing when creating conference schedules.  You can assign zones either after you add endpoints or infrastructure into TMS, or while you're in progress of adding them.  You can read more about what zones are in the TMS Admin Guide, starting on pg 46.

Regarding your MCU, if you're lacking media ports, than that is probably the root cause of the issue.  Cisco wouldn't have added them, you'd do that one you receive the product similar to how you added the activation and encryption keys.  If you go to the Cisco Licensing Portal, navigate to Get Other Licenses > TelePresence Licenses to Resend, and enter the serial number of the MCU.  It will return all the option keys tied to that MCU, if the media ports were purchased, they should appear on the screen.  You're looking for something that mentioned "L-5300-4PL".

I realized after I replied, that my previous post might be incorrect, I first though you weren't able to add it to TMS when you mentioned IP and ISDN zones.  I remembered an issue I had where I couldn't add systems into TMS because of missing zones.

Anyway, what is the status of your MCU, is it activated, and fully licensed?

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Does your MCU show that it is registered to the VCS (ie, on the http://YourMCU/settings_h323.html), and can you see that registration on the VCS (https://YourVCS/registrations)?

As Patrick has suggested, you will likely need to create a very basic "IP Zone" (leave pretty well all the settings blank) and have all your devices in that zone.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

mhanderson
Level 1
Level 1

Just as you probably figured it out the MCU did not come with Port licenses. We ordered them, so either the distributer has them or they are sitting on someone's desk in a plain white hard envelope. I need to get back to our procurement people and see where the licenses are. Thanks to you and Wayne for your support. Once we get the licenses we'll apply the equipment to the proper Zone (which I think we are just using the default).

I really appreciate your time,

Mark

You're welcome.  I take it the license lookup didn't show any media port licenses for the MCU?  You should have received the option key just like you did the other two, activation and encryption.  If you're still having issues or need more help, just ask.

The Port Licences may be delivered as a PAK which you will need to fulfil by attaching it to the serial number of the MCU on the licensing portal to then generate the licence key(s) required.

Like you said before, look for a large white envelope - that's how we usually get them.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: