cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Movi won't display other Movi users (phonebook problem)

Juergen Hornung
Level 1
Level 1

Following problem exists with my Movi (4.3) test installation:

- Movi users cannont find other Movi users via phonebook

But I think this is not a general problem, because an other phonebook with

manually configured endpoints can be found by Movi users.

Although presence works if a Movi user configure manually an other Movi

user.

Can you give me some help to my problem?

19 Replies 19

awinter2
Level 7
Level 7

Juergen,

Movi users will only appear in the provisioning phone book if the user has a device attached to its account. A device for a user will be created when the user logs in for the first time. This means that if your test installation Provisioning Directory contains 10 users, of which you have only ever logged in one of these users, only that single user will be searchable in the phone book.

Further, when a device is created upon a Movi login, the device will be a combination of the user itself and the SID of the computer being used to log in with. The SID is normally unique for each (Windows) computer in your environment.

This means that if you log in with user A using PC A, a device will be created for user A and this user will be searchable in the phone book. Now, if you sign out user A and sign in user B using the same computer, PC A, user A's device will be removed from the Provisioning Directory and a device will be created for user B. This has the consequence that user A will no longer be searchable in the phone book while user B will.

The idea here is that Movi users will normally have a personal PC which they use for Movi. The reasoning behind only making users having a device searchable is that when the userbase is large, there might be numerous Movi accounts which are never used and it would therefore not make sense to make these accounts searchable.

Now I'm not sure if non-existing devices is the reason for your phone book problem, but I would recommend that you log in a few of your Movi test accounts (using different computers) to see if this has any effect.

Hope this helps,

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

I have several users with different PCs that are already sign in in the past, I can see this in the provisioning directory.

Is there any sence if the user is on- or offline?

Must there be a a special provisioning option be set?

(My provisioning options so far: Configuration Phonebook Server Type, Phone Book Server Uri, Presence Server URI, SIP Server Address)

Thanks for your quick response!

Juergen

Juergen,

you should add the 'Phone Book Server URI' configuration as this is the one used by Movi. The other phone book configurations you refer to are used for endpoint provisioning (Such as E20).

Edit: I see you have already added 'Phone Book Server URI', could you let us know what this is currently set as?

Also, have you made sure to set proper access control for your Movi users and groups on the provisioning phone book?

Regards

Andreas

'Phone book Server URI' points to phonebook@host.name.of.vcs

(Sorry, I dont want to publish the right name here as it accessable via public internet)

I checkd the access control and for me it seems to be correct...

A general question, if I change provisioning settings, how will (and how often) the settings be published so that they are active?

Juergen,

the presence and phone book URI's should be se to 'presence@domain' and 'phonebook@domain', respectively, where 'domain' is the SIP domain you are using for provisioning.

When changing a provisioning configuration, the change will take effect instantly if you sign Movi out and in again.

Regards

Andreas

OK, changed both of the settings to the correct value - without success.

Regards

Juergen

Juergen,

in that case, I would suggest that the next step would be to get a TAC case opened, since further troubleshooting would involve taking logs from the VCS in order to see what happens when Movi attempts to search the phone book.

Regards

Andreas

Do you know which is the relevant log (and which log level) at the VCS is it?

Regards

Juergen

Juergen,

I suggest that you do as follows:

- Sign out your Movi client

- On the VCS (Assuming you are running X7.x), go to Maintenance > Diagnostics > Diagnostics logging, set 'Network log level' to DEBUG and click 'Start new log'

- Sign in your Movi client and attempt a search for a user which you know exists in the phone book

- When the search fails, stop the diagnostics log and download it.

Before you do this however, I recommend that you manually verify that your Provisioning phone book contains the user entry which you plan to search for. To do this, in TMS go to Phone Books > Manage phone books, click on 'Provisioning phone book' and select the 'View contacts' tab on the right-hand side. There you will see all contacts which exist in this phone book, and if a contact has multiple entries you should be able to expand the contact by pressing the '>' symbol.

Hope this helps,

Andreas

Andreas,

beneath the VCS log output there is following error line:

Module="network.tcp" Level="ERROR": Dst-ip="tms.host.address" Dst-port="443" Detail="TCP Connection Failed"

Is that the way VCS tries to find other Movi users?

If so, our Movi installation is currently not configured for https acces via port 443.

Regards

Juergen

Juergen,

no that error relates to the external manager address which the VCS is set to use, and does not directly affect provisioning.

You should however make sure that the external manager on the VCS is correctly set and working, so switch this to HTTP if the VCS is not allowed to communicate with TMS over HTTPS.

Regards

Andreas

Andreas,

it seems that I found the problem (but dont know how to solve it)

If I click on  Phone Books > Manage phone books -> My phonebook and then "View contacts" no Movi user is displayed.

But, if I click on "Sources" and choose the "provisioning source" and then "View contact" the Movi users are displayed.

So what is wrong and how can I solve this problem?

Thanks

Juergen

Juergen,

what happens if you set the 'Update type' to 'Import from TMS' and then click 'Update' when managing your Provisioning Phone book? Does that populate the contacts for your Provisioning phone book?

Regards

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

nothing happens. The contacts are not populated.

Regards

Juergen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: