cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MS SQL question for TMS

rfrome
Level 1
Level 1

I had a custoemr pose this question to me, and I can't find any relevant answers in the Tandberg docs.

I need help and guidance for the license for the MS SQL installation on the TMS Virtual Machine.

Cisco TMS supports:

-Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Database Server with Mixed Authentication Mode enabled. All 32bit

versions of Microsoft SQL Server 2005, including the Express Edition (see caveat below).

- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 both 32bit and 64bit.

- If you are installing SQL Server 2008 on the same server as Cisco TMS, .NET 2.0 SP2 is required.

We have purchased a MS SQL 2012 Server Standard Server License, which is backward compatible to 2005 and 2008.( They no longer sell 2008 and 2005 licensees).

However if we install MS SQL 2008 we are required to install Client Licenses (CALs).  Nowhere in the documentation does it state how to determine how many client MS SQL CALS we need for the TMS.   All I could find was that  Microsoft’s state that every user that interacts with SQL requires a licenses, which would greatly drive up the cost.

If we install 2005, we don’t need client licenses, but I need confirmation that installation this old version won’t cause issues.

thanks,

Robert

6 Replies 6

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

TMS just needs one account to connect and communicate to the database with.  TMS will install SQL locally on the server if it isn't already installed using the typical TMS install option and utilize the SQL "sa" account.  However, if using the custom TMS install option, you can specify a local or external SQL server and use an SQL user account of your choosing.

Patrick,

I'm not sure I understand your response. I was asking about whether Client Licenses are needed.

The customer wishes to install TMS on a the same server as the SQL database. Do you know if they need client licenes? If so, what makes use of these Licenses?

thanks,

robert

It was in reference to your comment about the user requiring the CALs, a workaround would probably to install it locally on the TMS server, and let the TMS installer do it for you.  However I'm not an SQL admin by any means, my extent is just installing TMS, and not the physical setup of the database.

You have 2 option:

1. Setup TMS with SQL Express. In this case you will have 4 gb limittion for database. You do not need any licenses or purchased SQL server.

2. Install SQL server and map TMS. In this case you have to provide licenses and your database will be unlimted. There are a lot of types of licensing. You can read it here http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/F/8/6F84A9FE-1E5C-44CC-87BB-C236BFCBA4DF/SQLServer2008_LicensingGuide.pdf

If you choose "Per User" it will be just 1 user. I advise you to contact you Microsoft license manager to get more details.

TMS use only 1 administrative SQL account.

Best Regards,

Artem Borodai

Kjetil Ree
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Setup TMS with SQL Express. In this case you will have 4 gb limittion for database. You do not need any licenses or purchased SQL server.

And if you use SQL Server 2008 R2 Express, you'll even get 10GB! [1

Absolutely correct Kjetil And keep in mind, when your installing TMS to the server, the installer will detect if SQL is available on the server or not (as well as other necessary components like IIS and .Net) and if not, then it will install SQL Server 2008 R2 Express for you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: