cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast and Integrated routing and Bridging (IRB)

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

Anyone know if multicast is supported over IRB interfaces - on IOS 15.x and up?

If supported, is there a hidden trick to get it to operate?

We have to upgrade to new hardware & IOS 15.1 and looks like we have big failure.

:

Multicast is fully operational and supported over IRB interfaces on 1760 IOS adventerprisek9-mz.124-25d.bin.

:

THANKS

Frank

:

:

CONFIG:

bridge irb

!

int g0/0.31

encaps dot1q 31

bridge-group 1

!

int g0/0.32

encaps dot1q 32

bridge-group 1

!

int bvi1

ip add 172.16.3.1 /24

ip pim sparse-mode

ip igmp version 3

!

ip pim bidir enable

ip pim autorp listener

no ip pim dm-fallback

!

bridge 1 protocol ieee

bridge 1 route ip

6 Replies 6

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

UPDATE:

If the BVI interface and related bridge stuff is removed, and the IP address is assigned to the g0/0.31 interface all works as expected.

Comments welcome!!!! . . . and yes it appears to be the BVI stuff breaking multicast.

Tks

Frank

Problem resolved!!!

Issues was an IOS bug.

Tks

Frank

Hi fsebera,

Would you happen to know which version of IOS is affected by this bug? Did upgrading the IOS ultimately fix the issue or did you have to get rid of the BVIs?

Thanks

Hey Mtavarez,

From my experience, it appears this problem is related to the Cisco 2800 series routers IOS 15.1 (and up) while multicast pim and/or multicast BI-DIR pim is operational across a bvi interface. Upgrading to the latest version of IOS for the 2800 series routers did not correct the issue and at this point the Cisco 2800 series routers are EoL/EoS. Although we did resolve this issue and implemented a correction -but in the end- did get rid of the bvi, as it was deemed too cumbersome and was replaced with a pseudowire technology.

HTH

Frank

Thanks

sfoleltt003
Level 1
Level 1

I believe it may be an IOS bug also.  I placed " ip pim spare-mode" on the physical interface along with the bridge group.  Once I did that Multicast started to work.

interface G0/0

no ip address

ip pim sparse-mode

bridge-group 1

interface BVI1

ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

ip pim sparse-mode

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: