cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MX/SX touch panel flat UTP cables quality

gfolens
Level 4
Level 4

During instal of several new endpoints of type MX & SX I noticed broken/bad cables for connecting the touch panels. I'm referring to the grey flat-type UTP cables. I know they can easily be replaced by a standard UTP cable.

Anyone got the same problem with these cables?

Is there any place on Cisco website where I can report this?

4 Replies 4

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If they are new endpoints, and you have an active support contract, I'd open a TAC case and get replacements.  Or, like you said, you can use a standard UTP cable, which is what I'm using for one of our touch panels.

martyn.rees
Level 4
Level 4

Yep have come across bad ones as well, but generally they stop working soon after installation for no apparent reason. Replace with standard cables and it solves the problem and saves it from just happening again with a replacement from TAC.

Looks to me there's a quality issue. Which channel within Cisco should I use to report this?

When you install a new system you have no time to wait for Cisco to provide a spare. If I recall well for new products there is a spare part delivery delay of 10 working days...

rgds, Geert Folens.

Yes, every second installation I have at least one failing cable.

They are pretty naughty, since most of the time, the touch is booting but then hanging. Swapping the cable with the shorter/longer one fixes it immediately.

The solution to open a tac case for such a simple issue is pretty ridiculous. It hurts your ratio and it is just a lot of work for a simple cable.

It leaves a certain feeling at the end of the installation about the overall quality.

Danny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: