Views
Helpful
Replies

MX800 discovery issues on TMS15

nchandran
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

We recently purchased an MX800 (single screen), i upgraded it to the latest 8.1.1 firmware as well. I have put in the same SNMP community string as other telepresence devices on the network. When trying to add it in TMS (15.0) via the Navigator i get the error that it is unable to add the system as it 'cant be found'. I have checked that other devices can see the SNMP messages coming from the new telepresence device -except the TMS. I have tried changing IP address of the TP unit - still same issue. Ther are other SX80's on the same 8.1.1 software and they dont have any issues being picked up by TMS. A bit baffling!

Can anyone help out there?

Thanks in advance

Navin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Patrick,

Thought I would let you know where the error was. In TMS Tools>Security Settings>Advanced Security Settings - Disable SNMP was ticked. Unticking this fixed it.

ps: this enables the TMSSNMPService.exe service as well ;)

THanks for your help!

Navin

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Patrick McCarthy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You mentioned you set the SNMP community name - but did you verify that the NetworkServices SNMP Mode was turned on? ReadOnly is the default, but perhaps it got turned off. When you see TMS trying to find it - does it try HTTP(S) after SNMP? 

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply. Yes that's the first thing I checked, and ive tried toggling it as well - No luck. It does try HTTP(S) and still isn't able to 'Find' the device. It is quite strange

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

From the TMS server, are you able to navigate to the MX800 over HTTP(S) using a web browser?

Has anything been configured on this MX800 yet?  You could possibly try to factory reset the endpoint, and attempt to add it into TMS.

Hi Patrick,

I am able to access it via the browser. I did attempt a factory reset as well.. Interestingly I was poking around in the Windows server logs and can see that the TMSSNMPService.exe is failing. See attached.

Maybe this could be the reason?

SNMP is really used for legacy endpoints, as starting with TMS 14.6 it's disabled for new TMS installations.  For endpoints released in the last few years running TC/TE/CE software, TMS uses HTTP(S) to communicate to the endpoints, and SNMP is only used for system discovery on the network.

Can you confirm that the MX800 can access TMS via HTTP(S)?

What happens if you configure the MX800 provisioning settings yourself?  This will make the endpoint contact TMS, and TMS might be able to add the endpoint itself depending on the Automatic System Discovery settings under Admin Tools > Configuration > Network Settings.

I can access it via HTTP(s) from TMS. I also did try manually configuring the settings from MX800 to provision with TMS and that didn't work either.

I really do think that this TMSSNMPService.exe service not working properly may be the reason, it does appear that the issue started after I upgraded to 15 .

Hi Patrick,

Thought I would let you know where the error was. In TMS Tools>Security Settings>Advanced Security Settings - Disable SNMP was ticked. Unticking this fixed it.

ps: this enables the TMSSNMPService.exe service as well ;)

THanks for your help!

Navin

That's good to know, thanks for letting everyone know Navin.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: