Views
Helpful
Replies

MX800 No audio on HDMI output 2

david.sharp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a simple problem which isn't making much sense, we need to take a video and audio output from an MX800 so that we can record a conference and this is providing to be a more difficult task than expected.

The firmware is TC7.3.4 and we are finding that no matter what we do we are unable to get audio out of HDMI 2 which according to the manual should be supported, we can get audio out of HDMI 1.

The config appears to be correct

*c xConfiguration Audio Output HDMI 2 Level: 0
*c xConfiguration Audio Output HDMI 2 Mode: On

I understand that one of the audio DSP's or maybe multiple will be used for the inbuilt audio on the system, but as the manual states only 1 is used to the other should be available.

Should we expect audio on the HDMI output 2?

Cheers

Dave

Think with Portals
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

There is no audio out from HDMI 2 of MX800 single as of now.   This is a documentation error which will be corrected.

The associated API will most probably be removed in the next software releases.

Regards

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is this a MX800 Single or Dual?

According to the data sheet and the admin guides, only the second audio output applies to the MX800 Single.

Hi Patrick

Thanks for your response, I have double checked that, just in case I has missed whether or not the system is single or dual screen, this is a single screen system so is there something else I am missing I wonder?

Cheers

Dave

Think with Portals

Don't know what to tell you to be honest, beyond those two commands you mentioned, I can't find anything related to why it might not work.  Might have to open a TAC case, could be something that it's documented, or hardware/software issues, etc.

Hi Patrick

Thanks for your help, I was planning on logging a TAC ticket but I think the contract is not live yet, so I can only do a DOA RMA, I'd rather avoid that as I have a feeling I am missing something simple.

I did try the TC console, but that has no audio console on the MX800, which leads me to believe other functions maybe restricted also.

Cheers

Think with Portals

Hi David,

I am not sure, have you tried following command and check if it made any difference:

xCommand Audio LocalOutput AddConnector OutputId:5 ConnectorType:"HDMI" ConnectorId:2

Thanks,

Vivek

Hi Vivek

I had not thought of trying this, I shall check the xcommand and attempt this command, with TC console not showing the audio section could this mean these commands are not available?

Interesting, I shall check and feedback the results.

Cheers

Dave

Think with Portals

Hi Vivek

That command is not available on the MX800.

I'm beginning to think the documentation is wrong and the option is simply not available.

Cheers

Think with Portals

Marius Nedregaard
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try to turn up the volume on the second screen. 

//Marius

We have tried with a known working cable to a known working external screen from HDMI 1, that provides audio, but HDMI 2 doesn't.

Think with Portals

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Taking the video and audio from the MX800 will only give you the far end audio, and not any of the local audio.  Usually when recording a conference, you want both ends of the conversation, so taking the HDMI output of the MX may not achieve what you're thinking it will.

If you're fine with just the far end's audio (or have another way of getting the local audio in to your recording), then you could just use a video splitter on the HDMI 1 output to split it to both the normal screen and the recorder.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Wayne

Thanks for the input, I believe audio outputs 5 and 6 on the pheonix provide both near and far end audio, the client has tested and confirmed this, so we can work with that.

However the bigger problem we have at the moment is that the admin guide states that in the MX800 there should be audio output on HDMI, maybe this only relates to HDMI 1 and not 2 and I am misunderstanding the admin guide (along with the client). I am fully aware and fully expect an HDMI output to only play far end audio, I have explained this numerous times to the client explaining that they would experience terrible feedback should an audio source playback out of local speakers given that the audio output is designed for room playback.

The bigger question I have is. Could the system be faulty? if we are expecting far end audio out of HDMI 2, there is the configuration option for this also in the system, but we are not getting and audio from that output.

I would log a ticket with TAC to get confirmation on whether the documentation is wrong or if there is indeed something wrong with the codec, as it stands I am simply not certain either way and was hoping that some one from Cisco that was very familiar with the system would have been able to clarify for me here.

I guess all I really need is clarification that there should be audio from HDMI 2, even when HDMI 1 is in use.

I'm wondering if there can only be audio out of a single HDMI output at any given time by design so help ensure there are not audio delays in processes which could impact on the echo control.

I'm not so familiar with the SX80 codec, and especially less so in an MX800 setup as it appears to have functions restricted.

Again thanks for your response greatly appreciated.

Think with Portals

Hi,

There is no audio out from HDMI 2 of MX800 single as of now.   This is a documentation error which will be corrected.

The associated API will most probably be removed in the next software releases.

Regards

Hi Teck

Thank you very much for the confirmation, I suspected this was indeed the case. I shall feedback to the client now.

Cheers

Dave

Think with Portals

AV1ntegrated
Level 1
Level 1

The MX800 has default audio mixing that is identical to the SX80.  Unfortunately, this audio mixing does not include HDMI 2 in any form as a part of the audio mix.  I have attached a screen shot of the default audio mix which is provided by CE Console (newest version).  CE Console is still only compatible with the SX80 and at this point the ability to change the mix in the MX800 may be unavailable.

The mixing capability of the MX800 doesn't seem to be in doubt as it uses the same firmware as the SX80, it is just the lack of having a CE Console which works with the MX800 that presents an issue.

Default audio settings:

Audio outputs HDMI 1, Line 1, Line 2, Line 3, and Line 4 - Variable audio output (volume controlled)

Inputs which feed those outputs:  Line 1, Line 2, Line 3, Line 4, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, and HDMI 3

Audio outputs Line 5 and Line 6 - Fixed audio output, line level (for recording)

Inputs which feed those outputs:  Microphones 1-8, Lines 1-4, HDMI 1-3

Unused audio output:  HDMI 2 (nothing feeds this any audio at all)

See attachment for details.

NOTE:  All current documentation that I have looked at continues to reference CE Console with the MX700 and MX800 units as if it works.  At this time, CE Console 8.1-0.jar does not support anything but the SX80.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: