cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need assistance : Tandberg MXP880

jcatimpo14
Level 1
Level 1

we have a Tandberg MXP880 video conference device in the office that we've been using for more than 3 years now with ISDN connection and sometimes through LAN. Accepting video calls from one of our site in Japan is okay and having a 3 way video conference not established by us is okay. However, when i tried today, set-up is like this:

Our Office (singapore) - site office (thailand) - site office (vietnam)

if we are the host, we cannot see the 2 parties simultaneously, only one will be active. we spoke to one knowledgeable personnel saying that we need to have some sort of a software on the device to do this which i understand, more like a firmware upgrade, but it doesn't make sense to me as to why it is not working.

Hopefully i can hear soon from you guys! TIA!

11 Replies 11

Robert Krenn
Level 1
Level 1

You need the MultiSite option key for your unit. It is a software option that might be able to purchase from Cisco if they have not stopped selling such for MXP880.

You can see which installed options you have on your system under the system information page.

//Robert

Hi Hanoj

Besides that sure you need the MultiSite option key, there is also a setting for the layout of the conference itself.

As it sounds that the two external sites are connected in the same call at the same time, but you just see the one

which speaks up it sound that multisite is present and voice switched is activated. So it might just be a layout issue.

If its so, look at the mxp user guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/endpoint/mxp-series/f9/user_guide/mxp_series_user_guide_f90.pdf

page 50, layout:

If not and only one participant can connect at the same time get the multisite option (if you can still order

that for a MXP880, think its end of life, just talk to your Cisco Partner).

Also the video quality is not so great of the old non hd mxp systems, so maybe instead of getting a new

license consider getting a new endpoint like SX20, C40 and if ISDN is still needed the ISDN-LINK adapter

Please rate the message using the stars below!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As Robert has reply already, to establish 3-sites conference with T880MXP, you will require MultiSite option key.

You may double check your Endpoint whether you have this option.

1. Telnet to T880MXP (default password is TANDBERG)

2. Execute "xsta system" and look for "MultisiteOption: xxx" (if this shows "MultisiteOption: True" then your Endpoint has MultiSite option, otherwise you will see "MultisiteOption: False").

3. If your Endpoint has MultiSite option, then make sure you enable MultiSite feature (xConfiguration Multipoint Mode: Multisite).

Teck Chye Tang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You probably can also check your multipoint call layout settings.  It could be at voice switched.  You can change that to other mode such as split mode, then you should see all participants in the continuous presence layout.

regards,

jcatimpo14
Level 1
Level 1

i can't thank you enough guys for replying that fast. it helped me so much!

i am now waiting for cisco reseller to send me the quote for key since the multisite option is not enabled on the device after i checked.

last question is, where do i put in the key? on the web gui of the device? under Software Upgrade > Software Option > New Option key? is this the correct one guys? TIA again!

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

From Web GUI, go to “System Configuration > Upgrade” then install MultiSite (MS+NP) option key into “New Option Key” and click “Enable Option”.

Please note that you will need to restart the Endpoint in order to option to take effect.

From Console/Telnet, execute “xConfiguration OptionKey Features: ” then “xcom boot” to restart system.

hi tom,

thanks for the response. i tried to look for MS+NP option, but there's none. please check below. i also added the telnet details for additional information.

is there a need for software upgrade?

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Currently your endpoint has Presenter (NPP) option, showing it line of “Installed Options”.

Have you already received new feature key activating multisite? (I though you are still waiting the quotation).

MXP Endpoint support single feature option key so when you order/purchase multisite feature key, it actually come as “multiway + presenter” feature key.

So once you receive new feature key activating multisite feature and install it on Endpoint, the key will overwrite existing feature key on your Endpoint.

Please check system information once you installed new feature key.

BTW, no software upgrade is necessary to activate multisite feature as this will “unlock” by feature option key.

jcatimpo14
Level 1
Level 1

hi tom,

do you still sleep? LOL.. i'm just kidding... appreciate your response again.. ok i understand your answer.. so soon as i receive the key i will just put it under the software upgrade > software upgrade > new option key and i'll click the enable option. is that right? thanks

Yes. that is correct.

Once you install MS+NPP feature option key, you should see "MultiSite, Presenter, Security" in "nstalled Options" line.

Also you should see "MultisiteOption: True" if you use API "xsta system" to check system status.

jcatimpo14
Level 1
Level 1

okay. i will just wait for the quotation and try the key.. I'll update you guys!

thank you