Views
Helpful
Replies

Neighbouring Zone configuration for standalone endpoints

ChristopheM
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have to configure Expressway-E to dial remote endpoints in standalone into the same enterprise via MPLS.

Checking Cisco-Expressway-Administrator-Guide-X8-10, I see that Neighbor zone could reach standalone endpoints (p163).

=> "Neighbors can be part of your own enterprise network, part of a separate network, or even standalone systems."

Considering that there isn't DNS Server, I would know how to configure Neighbor Zone to dial these endpoints.

Thank you.

Christophe.

4 Replies 4

Randy Valverde Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

interesting case scenario, though it would completely depend on the endpoints.

When you setup a neighbor zone, it will start sending an options message to the destination IP address, waiting for a 200ok, if no 200ok is received from the endpoint, the neighbor zone will show as failed and search rules towards this zone will not be considered. If the 200ok is received, the expressway will be able to successfully send the call to the endpoint.

If you are doing IP dialing, I would suggest to allow the expressway route the calls directly (Configuration >> Dial Plan >> Configuration >> Calls to unknown IP addresses), setting this to direct will cause the expressway to skip search rules on calls to IP addresses it does not know.

If you are dialing a SIP URI you would need a DNS afaik.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply.

Then if I understand, it's possible to configure neighbor zone to reach remote standalone endpoint.

On the other hand, if I've several remote standalone endpoints, do I create as much neighbor zone as there are standalone endpoint?

Christophe

You don't use your neighbour zone, instead direct those calls to your DNS zone and allow your VCS/Expressway to dial unknown IP addresses directly.

Hi all,

Unless remote endpoint are configured in H323 StandAlone, and in this cae, I could reach IP address of these endpoints directly, no?

Bye.

Christophe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: