cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to VoIP, need some pointers

Reprovoid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.I'm curious how an IP phone can call another VoIP phone In a remote network.Do you use a combination of Directory/IP address.I don't even know If thats possible.

If It's not , would I have to create a site-to-site VPN In order for the phones to communicate with their local Directory Nos?

I know how to configure the VPN and to connect the IP phones to a router using the CCA or CCP , give them DHCP etc but I have no practical experience when It comes to VoIP.

I've been reading about configuring VoIP dial peers.Would that be the best solution as opposed to a site-to-site vpn.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, it's not possible. You must use an IP PBX to control phones.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The IP phones know what to do because the IP PBX tells them.

Second question, you need them both. VPN to make the IP connectivity, and dial-peer to make the call routing.

So I can't Just use the public IP address of the remote network and there Directory wildmask to connect to the phones?

Is this possible but not recommended for encryptions reasons ?

No, it's not possible. You must use an IP PBX to control phones.

Ok.Got It. The plot thickens!

I have a networking/pc repair Job.I Install cisco routers and switches In small offices and have setup site-to-site vpn's.Nothing complicated.

Now the manager has purchased a UC540W to connect IP phones to a network.The UC540 will connect to a VoIP gateway wan connection which allows calls to anywhere In the world.

Does the UC540W have the capability of receiving a unique no from the telephone service like an analog phone so that It can receive calls from any analog phone and not Just make calls to them.

I have a PT file of the setup at the office.

I wont bother you anymore with this , you've helped me enough already!

Sure, that is normally done.

To learn about the UC500 there is a dedicated forum in "small business voice", and of course, the product documentation.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!