Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie Here! Setup VCS 8.1 and EX60 to register properly

kmartins5
Level 1
Level 1

Experts,

I have little knowledge of a VCS server or Tandberg EX60. I've been tasked with setting both up. While I have the server setup, I have been unable to get my first Tandberg EX60 to register with it. I have reviewed the loads of documentation available and cannot seem to nail this.

I have the VCS setup to treat all users as authenticated. I then go into the new (out of the box) EX60, use the provisioning startup wizard, choose Cisco VCS, and define the External Manager as my VCS 8.1 Ip address. I cannot get this to work. I have also tried setting up (per documentation), a local authentication database on the VCS, creating a username/password and signing into the EX60 with that. Still not working.

This is clearly my lack of knowledge with the systems involved. Hoping someone can give me clear instructions to get these two units working.

Thank you!s

2 Replies 2

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you have TMS, and TMSPE setup properly to use provisioning with your VCS?  The provisioning setup wizard on the EX60 using VCS won't work unless it can obtain the configurations it needs from TMS.  A very short/rough description of the provisioning process: the EX60 contacts the VCS, the VCS asks for authentication, when accepted, the VCS provisions/sends the configuration data as configured within TMSPE to the EX60.

If you don't have TMS/TMSPE, then you'll want to go into the EX60's advanced configuration yourself and configure the SIP settings to register to the VCS with the username/password you created.

Hello, 

Sometimes is kind of difficult to understand the registration process of the endpoint into the VCS.

Here are some steps to register the endpoint in H323 or SIP: 

H323

1. Tap the user name in the upper left corner and tap Settings 

> Administrator > H323. 
2. Enter the H323 Number and H323 Id in their respective 
input fields.
3. To enter the H.323 gatekeeper address manually, tap 
Manual in the Gatekeeper Discovery section, and enter the 
Gatekeeper Address (in your case the VCS) in the input field. Otherwise tap Auto.
4. If the H.323 gatekeeper requires authentication and you 
want your system to authenticate itself to the gatekeeper, 
tap ON in the Authentication Mode section and enter the 
Login Name and Password in their respective input fields. 
Otherwise, tap OFF.
5. Tap Save to confirm the changes, or Undo to leave without 
saving.
6. Review the System Information page and verify the H323 
settings.
If you have successfully registered to the Gatekeeper, the 
Status is shown as Registered in the H323 section.
7. Tap Exit to return to the home menu.

SIP 

1. Tap the user name in the upper left corner and tap Settings 
> Administrator > SIP. 
2. Enter the SIP URI in the URI input field.
3. Tap the preferred transport protocol in the Default Transport 
section. If you select Auto, the system first tries to connect 
using TLS, then TCP, and finally UDP.
4. Select a Proxy Type. Step through the list of available 
proxy types by tapping the - or + signs. The default type 
is Standard.
5. To enter the SIP proxy address manually, tap Manual in the 
Proxy Discovery section and enter the Proxy Address in the 
input field. If you want the system to obtain the SIP proxy 
address automatically (DHCP), tap Auto.
6. If the SIP proxy server requires authentication, you must 
enter the Login Name and Password in their respective input 
fields to authenticate your system.
7. Tap Save to confirm the changes, or Undo to leave without 
saving.
8. Review the System Information page and verify the SIP 
settings.
If you have successfully registered to a SIP server, the 
Status is shown as Registered in the SIP section.
9. Tap Exit to return to the home menu.

Please remember check the VCS configuration: 

1- Make sure you already create the SIP domain into the VCS (VCS configuration>Protocols>SIP>Domains)

2- please verify that you create into the database the username and password for this endpoint (VCS configuration>Devices>local database> new) 

3- make sure there is not an allow list or deny list blocking your registration. Remember if you have an allow list, if there is something that is not in the allow list, this will not be accepted by the VCS(VCS configuration>registration>allow list or deny list)

4-VCS has by default 2500 registration, make sure you have not reach the peak of registrations.

5- if the issue persist you should take some debug logs and verify why the VCS is not accepting the registration or even if the VCS is receiving registration, because sometimes is block or lost between the endpoint and VCS( Maintenance>diagnostics> diagnostic logging, network level and internetworking log level: debug, VCS versions X7.x) , I recommend you take a look into the debug logs when you try to register the endpoint in SIP the output is easier than H323. 

For more details: 

EX60 getting start: 

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/ex-series/tc7/getting-started-guide/video-systems-getting-started-guide-tc71.pdf

VCS admin guide: 

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/admin_guide/Cisco_VCS_Administrator_Guide_X7-2.pdf. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: