Views
Helpful
Replies

One to many Video Conferencing Session

Elie Sbat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am wondering if we can make a video conferencing session from 1 codec to multiple codecs.

is there any hardware or license limitations regarding that ?

Thanks,                  

9 Replies 9

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

For MXPs and C-series, including SX20, you'll need the multipoint option key installed on the host.

Total of four sites which is self plus three is the norm.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

amehla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Elie,

yes, you can make multiple video calls from single codec to other units.

there are two ways: multisite option keys or MCU for multiway call.

multisite option key allows a codec to make more than one video call and merge them  without the need for a conferencing service or a separate conference bridge.

For C series or EX90:  can join 3 other participants in call.

for MXP : Up to 4 video and 3 audio sites

for devices that do not support multisite, you can use a conference bridge ( MCU) to merge calls.

Guys,

Thank you for your promtp response.

I am using on site C40 ; C60 and C90 in some places.

If i used the MCU, I think I need extra licenses for this. Or I just call from Multiple units the same IP addresses ?

Thanks,

Elie

Hi Elie

for C40, C60 and C90, multisite option key is avaiable.

you can get multisite option key if you require on 4 sites to be on call.

if it requires to include more device, then you need to configure you C60,40, 90 and MCU for multiway.

Hi Amit,

so I believe that if I configure MCU on the codecs it will work for 1 to many V Conf ?

Thanks,

Elie

Elie Sbat wrote:

Hi Amit,

so I believe that if I configure MCU on the codecs it will work for 1 to many V Conf ?

Thanks,

Elie

The codec(s) you wish to use for multisite calls must have the multisite option key installed.

Let's say you have 4 codecs; A, B, C and D.

Codec A has the multisite option key installed and "Multi Point Mode" has been set to either "MultiSite" or "Auto" in the system configuration

Codecs B, C and D do not have multisite option key installed.

Codec A can now call B, C and D and have all participate in the same conferenc - so now A, B, C and D are connected together. (Alternatively B, C and D can all call A - the result will be the same.)

If you want to host multisite calls on all of the codecs, then all of them must have the multisite option key installed and "Multi Point Mode" configured accordingly on all codecs.

/jens

"for MXP : Up to 4 video"

That's a bit misleading as most MXPs can only do 3 additional sites, the four sites are self+3=4, which means there is no difference between these and the C-series, however the 6000MXP can do 6; self+5.

/jens

Hi 
As MCU Series support total 4 calls (3+1)with 4 video and 3 audio.
Which call can support only audio or only video or both ?
And if a fifth calls come up what will happen to it ? 

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As the others already said:

Multiparty conferencing can either be done

* on an endpoint which is capable

- the hardware needs to support it (yours do)

- it would require a license key (can be checked on the endpoint and on the licensing site, if not present it can be purchased)

- the endpoint has a max. amount of participants, yours would have three external participants

- your endpoint can dial them up, they can dial you or a mix of both

- you will also need enough bandwidth on the site which is handling the mutliple connections

- different hardware might support different maximum quality for  multisite calls, the c90 would deliver the best maximum resolution (1080p30) if  enough bandwidth is available, the c40 is limited to max 576p30

If you have many endpoints and you want all to have the capability to use/initiate multisite meetings

(in the endpoint multisite case you would have to purchase mutlisite licenses for all and you still could not have

softclient (Jabber/Movi) only conferences) or you do not have enough bandwidth to the remote sites but

a good connection to a central datacenter from each, then it might be handy to look into a MCU like the 5300.

Just to get the terminlogy right in the Cisco world.

If the multiparty/site call is handled on the endpoint it is called: Multisite

A hardware based solution (centralized at one site / datacenter) is often called MCU

(thats a generic not vendor specific word, there are different ways how the abbreviation is expanded,

like "mutliparty conference unit" or "multipoint control unit", but they mean the same).

An other benefit is that you can get more simultaneous participants in one conference.

Cisco has an other product called TPS which is the telepresence server which is also doing the same,

combining multiple videoconferencing systems in one conference, but the layout and supported systems

might be different.

Often the MCU/TPS is set up with TMS (Telepresence Management Suit) to autio dial up or OBTP (one button to push) meetings

or with virtual meeting rooms (you simply dial in to some fixed numbers) to meet.

If you have an MCU and a VCS (Video Communication Server) and your Cisco endpoints you can also

use the endpoints to automatically escalate and join calls to a conference on the MCU.

This feature is called "Multiway" or "Conference Factory".

There is also a product which is the "Telepresence Conductor" which can help you allocating MCU

resources and handle virtual meeting room addresses.

You will also find 3rd party companies offering MCU services over the internet.

Why dont you contact your Cisco Partner / Contact and have a chat about your current deployment / usage

and get some more info about what you can do regards to Multiparty conferencing.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify