Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Open source software for CTMS

Hello!

Can someone please give a brief explanation of how this Cisco TelePresence Multipoint Switch works (not the switching functionality).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7315/products_licensing_information_listing.html

Need information on setting up the server ie. server installation process, platform, vmware, operating system, licensing, CUCM integration etc.

I look forward to your helpful information.

Regards,

4 Replies 4

Server installation process and operating system:

Like CUCM, CTMS is only supported on Cisco MCS servers or VMware using Cisco UCS servers.  It runs on UCOS, but don't worry too much about the OS - when you install via the CTMS DVD, it installs the OS and application together, no seperate OS installation requires.

Installation process:

Boot from DVD, follow the bouncing ball by entering IP addressing, NTP CUCM details etc.

Licensing:

Pretty sure you just need to buy the software, no other licensing required (I could be wrong on this)

CUCM Integration:

Enter the IP addressing of CUCM/s into the CTMS during installation or via web GUI after installation.  Create a SIP trunk on CUCM pointing to the CTMS IP address.  Create a route pattern on CUCM to CTMS that uses the SIP trunk you created.  The route pattern might look something like "55XXX".  You will then configure your CTMS access number on the CTMS web GUI to be 55000, with a route pattern start of 55001 and route pattern end of 55999.

Decide how many of the "segments" on CTMS you want to allocate to scheduled meetings and how many you want to allocate to ad-hoc meetings.  Each Telepresence screen takes up a single segment (there are a total of 48 segments on a CTMS).  Therefore you could have 30 segments allocated to scheduled meetings and 18 segments allocated to ad-hoc meetings, or any other mix as long it totals to 48.  Note that a screen only uses segments while in a meeting, so you might have a total of 100 screens in your network, 48 of which can be using CTMS at any one time.

Meetings:

You can schedule meetings on CTMS using CTS manager (which is a whole other subject) but you can also configure static meeting IDs on CTMS.  In this example, you might configure static meeting ID 55101 on CTMS.  A number of Telepresence units can then dial 55101 and they will all end up in a meeting together.

Does this cover everything?

Thanks! That's very helpful.

I am now getting a clearer picture as to how it works. However, I still got some questions. I got the prompts to download

CTMS-Commercial_Express_1.8_v1.0 on cisco.com. On a Windows 7 PC, the file automatically installs in VMware creating a virtual machine named CTMS-Commercial_Express_1.8_v1.0. On trying to power up the virtual machine it fails due to some listed reasons (not to worry about as for now).

Does this suggest we can create the CTMS from using a Windows machine with VMware installed?

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/cart.html?imageGuId=4F651F70465A378B582AD71CD57468F5238F8EE5&i=rs

Regards,

The commercial Express CTMS is only supported on a dedicated MCS unit that ships with the software. It's a very clever and interesting solution that hosts an ESXi Vmware environment and runs CTS-Man, MS and RS. But it limits the amount of devices that are connected to 10.

CTS-Ms runs as non-virtualized solution only for larger deployments. As already mentionned.

Danny

Here is the Administration Guide which walks you through exactly how to install and configure.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/multipoint_switch/1_8/administration/guide/install.html

Very useful doc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: