Views
Helpful
Replies

packet loss

Toolshedr6
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to t-shoot packet loss issue that is between my company and another company. Essentially video just goes black. I attached statistics from one of the endpoints on our side.

We are going out over regular internet.

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Packet loss over the internet usually indicates congestion on one or both of the company's public facing internet links.

That said, if video is just "going black" instead of becoming pixelated, the issue may not relate to the packet loss you are seeing.

Hello,

Could you tell us more how the call flow is happening and what infrastructure involved in the call?

Did you try to lower the bandwidth when initiating a call? This may help to reduce packet loss.

BR,

Acevirgil

Sorry had to work on other projects.

Essentially what is happening that at exactly 20 min video goes black but audio continues. 

Issue with SX80. I did run a test call from one of our sx20s here internally and didn't run into issue like that. Also ran a jabber call to sx80 for over an hour and didn't run into that issue

I already identified a 100mb old switch that connection is going through and will change that to 1gb in upcoming days. We are using CUCM, TMS (running on UCS) and Expressways. 

Did some more digging.

It doesn't seem that packet loss is my issue. What I observed is that video portion of the call on our end just ends however voice continues. I still see session going on Expressways.

So I wonder if there is some kind of a timer for video. All outbound Video ends exactly at 20 min on 3 calls I tried while audio continues

Check SIP timeouts on the firewall and make sure SIP and H323 inspection are turned OFF.

my timeouts on ASA

timeout sip 0:30:00 sip_media 0:05:00 sip-invite 0:07:00 sip-disconnect 0:05:00
timeout sip-provisional-media 0:05:00 uauth 0:10:00 absolute

just a quick update.

Seems like version um running on my sx20 and sx80 have some issues with packet loss.

Updated firmware and about to test again.

Other site that is hosting the bridge also had to reboot their mcu

Did you verify your SIP inspection is disabled? Also you mention this problem is with one specific company, can you call other companies or outside services (like Webex) without an issue? Perhaps this problem is on their end not yours. To your last point - if your calls that you timed are all dropping video at exactly 20 minutes, that is not a packet loss problem, there is something blocking you after that amount of time, it's not a coincidence. 

I was able to do Point to Point (just expressways) call without issues and a bridge call when they host it.

From what I was able to narrow it down it happens when they host a particular company on their MCU with us. That's why we asked them to reboot their MCU.