Views
Helpful
Replies

Poor Video and Audio quality

chris.king
Level 1
Level 1

Hi fellow admins,

I would just like to report what we are currently experiencing with our Room Kits to see if anybody has the same problems or can give me some advice.

Our setup is: 7 Room Kits in a dedicated VLAN connected to the internet via a Cisco 1921 Router. Bandwith has been reserved at 100 M/Bit. Everything was running perfectly until last Monday (21.04.2020). Since then we have been experiencing poor audio and video. If I start a meeting from my iPhone as host and join in with my room kit, my video quality is much better. If I start the meeting from the Room Kit as host, then the other participants cannot see the Room Kit video sometimes. They can, however see and hear each other. This may be constant or it may work for 30 minutes and then stop sending video. We don't have any bandwidth issues, as each Room Kit utilizes max. 6 M/Bit. The audio qaulity is also poor with many interuptions. All this since last Monday.

Ideas, anyone :-)

Thanks!

Chris

5 Replies 5

JJ77
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could you please elaborate more on how or where are your device registered (on-prem or cloud)

Also, please check your QoS policy (if marking are done on device end or your switches are marking the packets for the video traffic), check also the port speed settings on the Cisco devices (full duplex both on device and switch port)

Was there any recent upgrade on your switches or router which may have changed something ?

Thanks for the response!

Could you please elaborate more on how or where are your device registered (on-prem or cloud)

All devices are registered in the cloud

Also, please check your QoS policy (if marking are done on device end or your switches are marking the packets for the video traffic), check also the port speed settings on the Cisco devices (full duplex both on device and switch port)

We do not have QoS enabled - the only devices on the VLAN are the Room Kits and bandwidth has never been a problem. We have not changed the configuration recently. I updated the firmware on the Router to see if it helps - no difference. We use Autonegotiation on the access switches - No packet loss - also no packet loss on router. The webex connection test shows all green.

Was there any recent upgrade on your switches or router which may have changed something ?

No - no change.

Kind regards,

Chris

Thanks for your response 

Next step would be to check your firewall.

Please initiate some calls and keep a check on your firewall (specifically check if there are any packets getting blocked/dropped).Also it will be a good idea to check the firewall rule against Cisco config guide for firewall ports

We have no firewall on this network- just a router with dynamic routing from inside to outside.

The router/ VLAN is reserved for webex only.

THX,

chris

Is this issue happening with any specific room kit or all 7 rooms kits are presenting the same quality issue?

Also you may be well aware that the QoS does not work  once the traffic leaves customer premise.

Have you checked your internet link utilization during the video call in progress ? Alternatively you may also troubleshoot by starting with 2 room kit and then eventually adding other room kits one at the time to the same call

Its interesting to know that you don't have any firewall and that makes your network more susceptible to DoS or other vulnerabilities out there in internet