Views
Helpful
Replies

Presentation sharing issue with Jabber Video

krolinski
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

my name is Markus and I'm working in the Telepresence support for a German company.

We have approx. 1200 users for Jabber Video all registered to VCS and provisioned in TMS (TMS Agent Legacy).

Basically the service is running fine and users are not complaining about the quality (we have a bandwidth statement of max. 800 Kbit/s for each user).

The only thing that almost all of our users are complaining about is the "presentation sharing" functionality of the client. No matter if they use version 4.3, 4.6 or 4.7 it's the same feedback.

I did some tests on my own and it seems to be that there are big differences between different shared applications:

- Microsoft Word 2010: In general ok, sometimes when scrolling too fast the client does not update and there are some strange artefacts in the displayed picture

- Microsoft Excel 2010: Not really usuable, sometimes coloumns are not visible or content of cells that you just edited are not displayed anymore

- Microsoft PowerPoint 2010: In general ok, sometimes the slides are not changed although I select a different slide

- IBM Lotus Notes 8.5: Not usuable at all, the display is stuck as soon as I click on another folder or mail, sometimes I need to stop sharing in order to see all content again

All of our PCs are running Windows 7 Enterprise (64bit) with 4GB or 8GB Ram.

Does anybode else is also experiencing similar issues with the presentation sharing ?

Right now we tell our users to do only "Share Desktop" from the Jabber Video client or go for WebEx if the sharing part is the main purpose of the meeting.

Thanks for your help !

Best regards,

Markus

5 Replies 5

Douglas Baggett
Level 1
Level 1

Are they single or dual monitor systems?

Hi Douglas,

both settings are available.

I have two displays physically connected to my notebook but tested it with both settings... same result.

Markus,

For Powerpoint, we have found once you share content you then get another prompt in bottom right asking if you would like to share.  It seems counterintuitive but we click cancel for this prompts and slides advance on remote side per usual.  Also, I believe you may have better success when sharing content at 1.2M or greater according to release notes.

I performed some further testing and it looks like it has something to do with the Windows 7  Aero Design.

Everytime I use the Jabber Video client in combination with the Windows 7 Basic design (so without Aero) I do not experience this issues while doing application sharing.

I noticed that also for a WebEx the WebEx meeting manager (browser plugin) changes your Windows design automatically from Aero to Basic in case you are sharing something.

So it seems like the sharing functionality and the Aero design are not a good combination.

Hi Markus,

i think you are seeing this bug in your enviornement "CSCtu71670". artifcats are seen while application sharing.

can you try sharing the entire desktop insted of jsut one application, and see if you still run into the issues.

regards

Alok

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: