Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with control SX20 by TRC6 remote control

Vadim Derman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

CST-SX20N-K9 normal controlled by TRC6 only on a short distance (about 1-1.5 meters). At longer distance the SX20 is poorly controlled or completely out of control.

SX20 has latest CE8 firmware version - 8.3.7 

Does anyone have the same problem?

15 Replies 15

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It should work fine at a greater distance if you point the remote towards the camera instead of towards the codec.

If it's not working at any distance over 1.5m, then check the batteries are fresh and not old.

Another issue can be if you have installed newer light bulbs in to your room - we have found that many cheaper bulbs can spam lots of IR in to the room and disrupt the remote signal.  Try your SX20/remote with the lights in the room turned off.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

It should work fine at a greater distance if you point the remote towards the camera instead of towards the codec.

This model doesn't have a camera. We control SX20 directly.

If it's not working at any distance over 1.5m, then check the batteries are fresh and not old.

New batteries installed.

Try your SX20/remote with the lights in the room turned off.

This variant has also been tested.

The remotes were really designed to be used with a Cisco camera to control the codec - If you're not using the camera as the the IR receiver, then on the SX20 itself the IR receiver is built in to the power button, so, it'll often depend on where you are trying to use the remote as to whether there is a clear line of sight (and at a good angle) to the power button.  You may need to change the location and angle that you have your SX20 mounted so as to allow clear access to the power button for the IR signal.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I would like to control through the Cisco camera, but all models SX20 with cameras are EoS. Therefore we use cameras from other vendors which not accept commands from TRC6 but controlled from SX20 by VISCA protocol. That's why I need stable control SX20 by the remote. But I see that is a problem that couldn't be solved normally.

As the SX20s are going end of sale very shortly (October 29) I would not recommend them for any new builds.
Wayne
--

I agree with Wayne that you should not purchase the SX20 going forward - it's by far the oldest codec in the Cisco line (I stopped recommending them two years ago). Buying new, if you don't like the 5K cameras in the Room Kit or Quad camera, you can buy the Room Kit Plus with the Precision 60, Cisco does bundle that together. I like the new cameras with the Speaker Track capability, but realize that the lack of optical zoom does not handle long distances as well as cameras (like the P60) that have it. 

That said - to your current problem - how about using the Touch 10 to replace the remote? That should solve your problem - it's a better interface anyway. 

Ok.
I have CTS-PHD1080p12XS2 camera. This camera was left from other unit about 6 year ago. Connect it to SX20 codec by CAB-PHD4XS2-SPLIT cable. But SX20 show error message "No camera connected". Video is present, camera also control by TRC6.
I think maybe firmware on camera is very old. But how upgrade it?

The CAB-PHD4XS2-SPLIT cable should only be used when you are extending the distance of the cabling required to a PHD4XS2 Camera.   The wiring within this is different, so while you could adapt the cabling within the Cat6 extension, it would be easier to use the correct cable (CAB-HDMI-PHD-12XS) which will connect directly between the SX20 and the 1080P camera.

You could make a wiring adaptor to fit between the -SPLIT cable and the camera if you don't have the correct cable avail;able.  The pinouts for the two are shown on Pages 19 and 20 of the PrecisionHD Camera Guide.

Wayne
--

First of all, I don't have the CAB-HDMI-PHD12XS cable to check your version.

I read this manual before and I didn't find any difference between CAB-PHD4XS2-SPLIT and CAB-HDMI-PHD-12XS pinouts on page 19 and 20 . So I think that problem is not in cable.

@Vadim Derman wrote:

So I think that problem is not in cable.

Using the -SPLIT cable, you need to cross over pins 3 and 6, otherwise you're connecting the RS232 output to the RS232 output (and input to input) which won't work - you need to have the output on one end connected to the input on the other.

So, you need:

End A End B
1 1
2 2
3 6
4 4
5 5
6 3
7 7
8 8

This is discussed (and confirmed as the working option) in thread SX20 camera cable, so it very likely that it is your cabling that is the cause of your issue.

Wayne
--

Thanks. I'll try to check it.

But it's really very strange to make a cable which need a special connector to connect...

@Vadim Derman wrote:

But it's really very strange to make a cable which need a special connector to connect...

If you were using the correct cable for the SX20 and camera combination you have (the CAB-HDMI-PHD-12XS I mentioned earlier), then you wouldn't need to make a custom adaptor.  Note you only need to make this change to the RJ45 end - and can do with a short extension which does the pin swap rather than altering the original cable.

Wayne
--

I did not know this about the SX20 - there being an IR receiver in the power button. 

I want to mount the codec behind the tv. As long as we use a Cisco camera, that should be ok, right?

Yes, if you are using a Cisco camera which is connected correctly to the codec, then you will have no issues putting the codec behind the screen as the IR for the remote will go through the camera.
Wayne
--
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: