Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about provisioning of E20s - CUCM and TMS

So we are now running CUCM 8.6.2 and 4.1 E20 software.  I've been playing around with provisioning via both CUCM and TMS and have some questions;

It appears that there are some features that can be set via TMS templates that can't be set via CUCM (MTU, custom commands etc).  Is it possible to apply these settings via TMS while still having the unit registered to CUCM?

Essentially, I want CUCM as my call registration and control platform but want to keep the granularity that TMS offers in terms of provisioning etc.  I anticipate the same issues with C-series etc.

Am I right in saying that in order to get the E20 to register to CUCM, I need to set the external manager to "CUCM", thereby removing TMS's ability to manage it? Alternatively, could I have it managed by TMS and then set the E20's SIP setting to point to CUCM via templates in TMS?

Any tips on this?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

John Regan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Having both TMS and CUCM to manage the endpoints is not a good idea (yet). TMS and CUCM will step on each other toes with unpredictable results.

With TMS 13.2 I understand that you should be able to import the CUCM into TMS and then find all the systems registered to it and import these into TMS, however in this case TMS will only schedule the systems in conferences and will not actively manage them (you can see call status as well).  TMS 13.2 is not yet released so this is what I have been told should be in this version.

So basically currently if using CUCM you should use CUCM provisioning and not use TMS.  We are looking into TMS interactions with systems registered to CUCM and there will be more developed on this in the future.  I would recommend checking the TMS13.2 release notes when released to see if this is mentioned.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Hi Nick,

At the moment you cant currently set settings like MTU from the CUCM which I agree is frustrating since we recommend you dont use TMS to manage the system.

I have raised this with the project manager for E20 and this will get some focus on this issue to ensure it is considered for a future release.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

John Regan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Having both TMS and CUCM to manage the endpoints is not a good idea (yet). TMS and CUCM will step on each other toes with unpredictable results.

With TMS 13.2 I understand that you should be able to import the CUCM into TMS and then find all the systems registered to it and import these into TMS, however in this case TMS will only schedule the systems in conferences and will not actively manage them (you can see call status as well).  TMS 13.2 is not yet released so this is what I have been told should be in this version.

So basically currently if using CUCM you should use CUCM provisioning and not use TMS.  We are looking into TMS interactions with systems registered to CUCM and there will be more developed on this in the future.  I would recommend checking the TMS13.2 release notes when released to see if this is mentioned.

Thanks

In that case, will CUCM then be able to manage all the settings that TMS can? If we register to CUCM, how can we provision MTU size etc?

Hi Nick,

At the moment you cant currently set settings like MTU from the CUCM which I agree is frustrating since we recommend you dont use TMS to manage the system.

I have raised this with the project manager for E20 and this will get some focus on this issue to ensure it is considered for a future release.

Thanks.

Great, thanks very much John.  I imagine the same issues would apply to EX/C-Series.

Hi Nick,

Yes this will apply to the EX/C Series as well.  We are aware this is an area we need to work on for the future and I hope we can see some improvement in upcoming releases.

Thanks

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: