cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

remote control of telepresence touch 10

fbr
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to remotely control (access) the telepresence touch 10 interface? I'm guessing it doesn't serve up a web interface which probably means "no" on this.

My scenario is this: I have a room in another city with an SX20 and a touch 10. I'd like to be able to remotely support the office which means controlling the codec remotely. I'm using Crestron's FusionRV and I'd love to be able to do this remote support via that system. If there was a Crestron processor in the room this would be a no-brainer but we went with the budget option on this.

Thanks.

14 Replies 14

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There is no way to connect to the Touch 10 remotely, the easiest solution would be to log into the SX20 web interface.  You can control the codec from it and change configuration options if need be.  Not exactly the same use case as you, but here is a feature request asking for remote access for the Touch 8/10, CSCuz61680.

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As [@patrick.sparkman] said, there is no way to remotely control the Touch 10 itself, but you can perform some basic control the SX20 via the web browser interface on the Call Control page, or more complex control by issuing API commands via web/telnet/ssh/etc.

You can (assuming you're running a recent version of the software) view what is currently displaying on the Touch 10 by taking a screenshot of the Touch Panel via the web interface.  (With TC software, see Diagnostics > User Interface Screenshots, with CE software see Maintenance > User Interface Screenshots).

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi,

It's now 2020, and a lot of us are working from home doing a lot of remote support.

I'd like to get some understanding why it is  that Cisco don't facilitate this feature. Is there a genuine technical reason why you can't provide a web browser, or a vnc client connection, or some other method that displays a virtual Touch 10 interface?

Our use case is that a lot of first contact support is provided by a large, ever changing cohort at the Service Desk. With some basic AV training, they resolve about 40% of all AV support calls which is an absolute life saver for the dedicated AV Support team.

But every single support call from a standalone Cisco codec goes straight through to the AV support because we can't give the  Service Desk  what seems to me to be the basic tool of a virtual touch panel - something that is identical to what the customer is seeing.

Regards,

John

Much of what you want to do can be done via the web interface to the codec - so you don't actually need to control the Touch 10 itself.

If you really need the ability to remotely operate the touch 10, then it's not something that is currently in the feature set - and this Community supported forum isn't the best place to ask for it.  You really need to speak with your Cisco Account Manager and ask them to raise a Feature Request with the BU (or add your support to an existing one if there is one lodged already) for consideration in future endpoint software releases. 

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the response, and apologies for raising this in the wrong place. Will escalate through the channel you have suggested.

But just to be clear, the web interface is not what is required for this use case. This request is not for trained, skilled AV dedicated support staff, but  is solely for Service Desk staff  who are not experienced with AV support.

We're currently able to give Service Desk virtual touch panels that mimic the physical touch panel in a space for all integrated systems(processor and codec) but we cannot do this for standalone codecs.

Regards,

John

@johnny_d wrote:

This request is not for trained, skilled AV dedicated support staff, but  is solely for Service Desk staff  who are not experienced with AV support.

Understood - but a lot of the functionality is pretty simple to use via the web interface Call Control page - placing or disconnecting a call, muting microphone, adjusting volume, starting / stopping a presentation etc.   Doesn't need anyone highly skilled to do that.  This may be something that can work for you while you wait for any future product enhancement. 

Wayne

Agree to a degree. However, when performing AV remote support, the customer will often be describing a situation that the Service Desk won't comprehend due to not knowing what buttons are seen in the room, or that are being pressed. 

Speed of the support response is the key for effective AV remote support. Comprehending the issue quickly, and resolving quickly make all the difference to our success rate. As I said previously , we get 40% resolved with quick access to the virtual touch panel. The Cisco web interface, while easy enough to navigate for skilled operators, has a lot of areas we really don't want unskilled operators accessing. The amount of training it would require would be substantial, and the Service Desk cohort are fairly overwhelmed with tools, and support processes already that training them in the web interface is not really an option.

Simplest tool for them, by the length of the straight would be a virtual Touch 10 interface. 

But my original question was: Is there any technical reason this can't be, or hasn't been implemented? I would appreciate knowing why the feature has not already been requested, and implemented - apologies if this is naive, but it does seem a fairly obvious gap to me.

Again, thanks for your response, I will escalate the request  through the correct channels.

Regards,

John

@johnny_d wrote:

The Cisco web interface, while easy enough to navigate for skilled operators, has a lot of areas we really don't want unskilled operators accessing. The amount of training it would require would be substantial, and the Service Desk cohort are fairly overwhelmed with tools, and support processes already that training them in the web interface is not really an option.

If you create a login with only the "User" level Role (rather than an Admin / RoomControl / Integrator, etc which all give more than they need), then this simplifies the options presented and removes the ability for them to make configuration changes or do much other than basic functions.

Simplest tool for them, by the length of the straight would be a virtual Touch 10 interface. 

Agreed - but as the feature isn't present, I'm trying to help you with options that are currently available.

I would appreciate knowing why the feature has not already been requested

It probably has been - but given the number of other feature requests and development issues fixing bugs, the DE team probably hasn't got around to it yet (there may be some other technical reason why - I don't know). Best you follow up through the right channels.

Wayne

Hi,

Just to update this: I escalated this through the correct channels and was informed it was added as a feature request. That was in May 2020 

Is there anyway I can:

1. check that it actually was logged

2. check the progress of it

3. and if it's stalled, ask for it to be expedited?

Thanks,

Regards,

John

Is there anyway I can:

1. check that it actually was logged

2. check the progress of it

3. and if it's stalled, ask for it to be expedited?

The answer to all of these questions is to contact your local Cisco Account Team and they should be able follow up on all of those questions for you through their internal channels.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. We have done as you suggested and our rep says he is following through to check progress.

Regards,

John

johnny_d
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco forum people,

As Wayne suggested, I followed this through with our rep. His response is copied below:

"New features are presented, discussed and voted on. To date only a couple of customers globally have requested this same feature. This means at present other feature requests are getting priority over this."

I am posting this in the hope that anyone else who wants this feature, will also make this request to their rep so that eventually, weight of numbers will make it happen.

Regards,

John.

I'd like this feature as well.

I ran into a problem today regarding it. In my case I was setting up the codec for One Touch to Zoom. The problem was that the dial string sent to the codec was incorrect (looks like a zoom side problem), but when you book something using one touch the codec does not dial the booked meeting until AFTER somebody touches the join button on the tablet.

So, I can't see what the booked SIP URI is in the recent calls if it fails until somebody is actually in my building and can physically walk in and hit that button. Since I'm remote, every time I need to test one touch I have to figure out who is there and direct them to the room and hit the join button with their finger.

It would be **SO MUCH EASIER** to be able to virtually hit that join button remotely.

Hi Douglas,

As Wayne suggested earlier, please raise this with your Cisco rep and ask the question through them. Feel free to reference this thread. 

It's another great use case....seems obvious to us support technicians, but not to Cisco....yet.

Cheers,

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: