Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset the default password for cisco VCS remotely

chandru_bbc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a cisco VCS system at remote location. I tried with admin/root with TANDBERG password.

But I am not able to login. Could you please help me to reset the admin password remotely?

-Bala

4 Replies 4

PJMack
Level 7
Level 7

You cannot reset the admin password remotely - the box would not be very secure if that were possible. You need to be at the unit with a serial cable to do the pwrec process. See page 274 of this admin guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/admin_guide/Cisco-VCS-Administrator-Guide-X8-1.pdf

This is your only option if you can't find/figure out what it is. 

Hi PJMack
I tried the procedure and able to reset the root password. With that I am able to login to CLI of the VCS. When I tried to login through the webpage of the VCS its gives invalid credentials errors. How do I login to that and what credentials to be used? When I go through the pwrec process it allowed me to reset only for root account.

-Bala

You can change either from there. Read the admin guide from whatever version of X code you are running (you didn't mention it) in case this process changed from rev to rev, but I don't think it did. 

If you have forgotten the password for either the admin account or the root account, you can reset it using the following procedure: 1. Connect a PC to the VCS using the serial cable as per the instructions in VCS Getting Started Guide. Serial port / console access is always enabled for one minute following a restart, even if it is normally disabled. 2. Restart the VCS. 3. Log in from the PC with the username pwrec. No password is required. 4. If the administrator account authentication source is set to Remote, you are given the option to change the setting to Both; this will allow local administrator accounts to access the system. 5. Select the account (root or admin) whose password you want to change. 6. You will be prompted for a new password. The pwrec account is only active for one minute following a restart. After that time you will have to restart the system again to change the password.

In addition to what PJMack mentions, the pwrec account is only active for 1 minute after the VCS restarts, so you must be quick.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: